Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I should be getting my carbon bonnet soon and it may have a few swirl marks so I was just wondering what's best to remove them and make it look perfect?

Can I treat it as normal paintwork or is there something special I should be using?

Also, can I wax it? I had a carbon bonnet on my R33 but I had it sanded and re-lacquered by a body shop and then sold the car so I never had to worry about this before.

Cheers guys!

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
Not had a go at polishing carbon yet but I've pillar covers I could try to see what best to use, but I'm thinking just be same as paint work as its lacquered so your only cutting and polishing the top of the lacquer really ..

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
Depends on how bad the swirls etc are but you'll prob need a machine polisher ,and some cutting compound meguiars 105 and 205 should do the job with some med and finishing pads and a coat of wax etc after to seal it...

·
Super Moderator
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well hopefully the bonnet will be delivered tomorrow so I can assess the condition, but it's good to know that I don't need to do anything special to it :bigthumb:

Cheers all

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
ya can cut it etc with compound no prob

For a tip, if heading out somewhere and want the carbon to look great on the day, spray on wd40 and wipe it over with a cloth

·
Registered
361 Posts
With carbon fibre you have to be careful with protecting it from the sun especially on a large piece like a bonnet, i have a carbon fibre bonnet and i wash and polish it regularly as it provides a protection form the sun,

A carbon panel will deteriorate quickly without protection, you need a product to use as a "sun screen" for your panels, i use Kleers Carbon UV Protector, with regular polish and waxes on top, I use Dodo Juice Supernatural hybrid wax as this provides excellent beading and protection,

I think Kleers is about £45 but to stop your panels having a patchy faded appearance or even yellowing is worth every penny for retaining carbon to a excellent finish.

with restoring carbon, i would be careful not to take any lacquer of as depending on the manufacturer you may not know how much lacquer is on the panel as there are a number of ways carbon fibre is made,

Id start with a general clay bar, (always lubricated with clay lube) this will remove any imperfections and give you a general view on how bad the panel is, then evaluate it from there,

·
Registered
104 Posts
agreed i have seen rear carbon spoilers look awful because they have not been coated and sadly when the top coat goes you have to have it re-done, use a top quality hard wearing wax....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts