Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am changing my water pump and need to take my CAS off. I know I've got to mark it etc but then when I turn the crank with it off to line up tdc will this not make the CAS off when I re install it as the cams will be in a different position to when I took it off so how do I make sure it's in the right place and not to mess my engine up

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The Cas is keyed to the cam so will only fit in one way, and it's best to set the timing correctly again using a timing light 2 minutes does it normally

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know how to set the timing as i dont know where it is at the moment. i was planning to mark the covers and where all the bolts sit so that it goes back in on the exact same place :)

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Just mark it on the CAS and the cam cover. It weill only go back on one way, If you look inside the CAS shaft once off there is a half moon cut out, This will only line up with the camshaft in one position. So dont worry, just make sure you put the CAS back to the marks on the cover and all will be fine

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that was what I was hoping as obviously you can't see the timing marks once all the covers etc are back on.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i dont know how to set the timing as i dont know where it is at the moment. i was planning to mark the covers and where all the bolts sit so that it goes back in on the exact same place :)
setting the timing is easy, you have to warm up the car, unplug the tps, and shine the timing light down at the timing marks, its best to use an old plug lead between the plug and coil pack to pick up the spark signal, you can use the white wire on the coil pack cable but have heard its not as reliable. Turn the cas unit until it is at 15 degrees bdc, tighten up cas plug in tps and job is complete., and some peace of mind.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
setting the timing is easy, you have to warm up the car, unplug the tps, and shine the timing light down at the timing marks, its best to use an old plug lead between the plug and coil pack to pick up the spark signal, you can use the white wire on the coil pack cable but have heard its not as reliable. Turn the cas unit until it is at 15 degrees bdc, tighten up cas plug in tps and job is complete., and some peace of mind.
but how do you manage to see the timing marks as they are behind the engine cover arent they?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
No the ignition timing marks are on the crank pully and they line up with a mark on the bottom timing cover, if you look closely you will see them

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh thats great, thanks for that :) ill have a look when its all out. obviosuly ill still mark it all up to make sure there isnt too much to do or any damage and turn it over by hand first to make sure nothing if off but its always work checking i suppose :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts