Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, do you know of any places around Bucks that fit Cat 1 alarms for under £350 ? i went to the sound gallery and they wanted £399 :eek: and then to a dodgy electrician on the side of a petrol station..£300

also, can i drive my car from the Tilsbury port bak home without plates ?

thanks guys !!!

phrozen

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not sure about the plates, but presumably then you have no MOT or insurance ? Even if you have insurance, having no MOT will invalidate it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot Grebo :)! i might have to put the car on a trailer or something to get it back home.....:( more cost! o well !

thanks again mate!

phrozen

·
Registered
469 Posts
Traders seem to get away with driving them like that - not sure how they get round the lack of MOT but they have trade plates and insurance which allows them to drive anything. Maybe you could ask round your local garages see if anyone with trade plates would drive it back for you. Would probably cost a few quid, but may well be cheaper than a trailer.

N

·
0 Posts
yes you can drive the car back from the docks , you however must be insured. You can only drive it , 2 a MOT station " prearanged " or to a place that work needed for compliance is to be done , this could be your home . Also a sva testing station " prearanged again " .

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I was reading about this today. See DVLA web site here.

Basically it says:

N.B. UK law requires a vehicle to be UK licenced and registered for road use. To avoid difficulties, importers are advised to transport, rather than drive their vehicles from the port to home or first destination and to keep them off the road until they have been properly licenced and registered.

As with a lot of these things it seems to contradict itself: 'to avoid difficulties'!! what the hell does that mean?

I've been wondering about this because I am hoping to get my skyline into Southhampton in September.

If anyone finds out about the insurance aspect can you post a reply.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah deya!

hmm maybe i could wear sunglasses+ act undercover and maybe the police wont notice me......

looks like a trailer job then!!

phrozen

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Funny thing is I have heard people say you can drive it with no registration for just 1 day to get it home. Always wondered how because you could run through every speed camera. I was planning to drive mine, but not sure now either.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
OK guys - definitive answer - well done beachboy you were right, and this is the reference on the website here.

You will be allowed to travel (within Great Britain) to and from the test station (including accredited test laboratories for any required ESVA tests) without the vehicle having been registered and licensed, and, if necessary, to and from a garage or other place where modifications are done to enable compliance with the requirements. You are responsible for ensuring that you have insurance cover and that the vehicle complies with the requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations when driven to and from the test location. Otherwise, driving or keeping an unregistered vehicle on a public road is an offence.

Wahoo!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whoa! thanks a lot guys :) il wear my sunglasses just in case though...and if the police pull me over, il use the "me no speaky english" trik :p

cheerz guys!

phrozen

S

·
0 Posts
Hi,

We are in Sussex

If its any use to you, we have our own very good engineer who fits CAT 1 & CAT 2 Alarms Immobilsers properly at the best prices around.
e.g. Toad Cat 1 ( Full remote locking, Insurance Certificate etc )
£285.00 fitted

Clifford Concept 300 ( Remote , certificate etc )
£320.00 fitted.

Clifford Concept 600 ( Remote, Prox, T/timer, Tilt/motion, Latest Omni sensor etc ) £599 fitted.

We also fit all I.C.E etc and keep some very nice Skylines in stock also..

Cheers
Stuart
Seaford Car Imports

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi Stuart!

thanks for the info, may come down your end when i get the car :) it all depends on whether this guy down here can provide me with a insurance certificate because he's charging £300, but getting down to ur end will be a similar price overall (inc petrol...im guessing its not v economical!)

can i have your number so i could phone u if i need nething done ?

thanks mate!

phrozen

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks grinder

Cheers mate, that info has put my mind at rest.
Ive been driving my car to and from richards bell workshop for weeks. Very time i get on the road i sh!! myself, whether im going to get done by old bill.

S

·
0 Posts
Hi Phrozen,

Call me anytime on 07970 698566

Cheers
Stuart
Seaford Car imports

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cheerz Stuart, i may well be doing that in the near future!

-Damo do u wear sunglasses when you drive yours....u kno.....to avoid gettin done by the police ?

:p

phrozen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts