Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RB20DET HCR32

Went to fit catch tank, never fitted one before so i only had the car it came off to copy, so i plumbed it in the same...but it blew the dip stick out and coated my engine bay with a nice layer of oil... :Uzi:

It was plumbed up like so,

both Cam cover breathers went to catch tank with there own line (i.e one per cover) to the two pick ups on the catch tank. the line to the plenum was blocked off with a bung an so was the inlet pipe back to the pipe after the AFM.

I realised the problem was it was a sealed set up and the engine was clearly breathing and had no were for it to go, so i set about trying to sort it out, so i changed it to so

Both cam covers "t" together and go to the catch tank via common pipe, leaving one reciver on the catch open to atmos...

Thinking this would solve my problem as now the pressure can exscape :)

er i was wrong, two mins down the road oil everywere....

:devil:

So i drove back home and stirped all the plugs out and did a compression test expecting to find massive blow by... 11bar across the board... then a leakage test...3% leak :smoker: :uy:

So i thought right the plenum valve thingy (you can see from my discription i don't have a clue what it is ;) ) i plumbed back into the stock, so it went from that plenum to the drivers side cam cover which is linked via stock pipe to other cam cover... then from there took it to catch tank and ran it back into inlet pipe after AFM as it clearly need this path....

Great it started working better... didn't blow the dip stick out.. but in removing the plugs i've gained a misfire :disappointed: :cya:

Which will be the loom playing funny buggers.. haha

So how the hell are you ment to connect this up,, and can someone explain all the problems i had, i want to understand how this system works :)

clarkey.

p.s sorry about the long thread... but its been a really long night...look at time ;)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how everyone else has plumbed there in is how i did it at first... This is when it blew the dip stick clean out :eek:

I need to know why this don't work on my engine....There must be a reason behind it.

Clarkey.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the links, i've been going through as many as i can tonight but found nothing that is the same as my problem... most people get away with it....

Just need to know why its doing this and if its seomthing i should be worried about aand sort out if you know what i mean :)

Clarkey.

·
erm,when will I be cool?
1,202 Posts
Forgice a complete novice butting in here, but I have just read through the myriad of threads on this, and no where does anyone say what a great idea this is.
One guy says his just collects a little bit of condensation occasionally - another says nothing comes in at all from one of his see-thru pipes.
Seems a lot of bother for very little benefit to me - and as I have admitted, I am not a mechanic, nor want to be one, but I just don't see the point.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ITs to stop the oil that the breathers are throwing out going back into the turbo and then being burnt....no one likes a smokey car :) ;)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i guess until you've fitted one you don't know,

From my point of view i'm loosing oil... now i would sooner know that the liter a month is going into a catch tank that i can check on a regular basis then it just getting burnt and me being un aware...

Bottom line.. if you loosing oil and it stops when you fit a catch tank thats the only reason i'm fitting one :)

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
colinspooky said:
Yes, I know the theory, but merely going on what others have said, the cans are hardly gathering anything. And in one case, nothing at all.
it does mention it in one thread , oil mist and vapour from the engine will lower the octane rating of the fuel/air mix in other word it burns .....well.

Plus said vapour will also displace fuel and air mixture and reduce horsepower.

Most of all it should (i hope) reduce the smell of burning oil i seem to be getting from my dump valve

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
Yeah, it's purely to catch any oil that may have been thrown into the intake tract. I'd rather it's collected in the tank rather than coating the inside of my pipes, FMIC, BOV, plenum and probably giving the plugs a good coating as well.

·
erm,when will I be cool?
1,202 Posts
fair enough - but it seems some people are having some bad experiences with them. :sorry:

Think I would prefer a tiny coating inside a pipe rather than a liberal spray around the entire engine department.

There must be a definitive "how to" on this, complete with pictures to cope with the apparently several different types of can.

It all sounded too confusing - block this pipe, no don't block that one, do this one. Plus someone's can appeared to have an extra pipe he didn't know what to do with.

Maybe because so many have put their opinions forward, the whole issue became clouded.

So here's a challenge to someone who really, really does know about these things - do a proper "how to" for the world to copy. :cheers:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The way i've done it now, its completely stock set up but i've broken the line from the cam cover to the induction pipe and put the catch tank between them... so it works as normal :) i would say that is the correct way of doing it...

I want to know why my dipstick blows out thou ??? wired.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
there is more than one way to do it though many ways work fine

At least superclarkey has found a "How not to";). Do you have the one way valve between the plenum and cam cover, and have you checked its ok, if its knackered you could be getting boost leaking into the engine, that would blow the dipstick out!!

I personally wont be blocking off pipes i'll post a piccie on how i do mine later

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah didn't think about checking the valve to see if it worked or not... that is something i will do now :)

I've basicly plumbed it in so its working the same as stock... but it jsut has as sealed catch tank inline between the cam cover and the induction pipe :)

I hope this will be ok :)

The point of the matter is it was doing the dipstick blow out when the one way valve was blocked off... also notice the engine idle went ****....

Really want to find out whats going on?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts