Skyline Owners Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Have been watching this thread with interest. I also have a 32 GTST and am awaiting my second attempt catch tank from ebay to arrive this week.

I was told the way to fit it in was the way superclarkey tried first (block the path to the plenum and induction pipework, Tpiece them both of these lines together into one of the catch tank feeds and leave the other open to atmosphere)

Surely the way he has it plumbed in now will be doing next nothing as the engine can and will still pull oil in when rather than release it to the can? :confused:
Does the one way vavle, suck or blow form the plenum? :confused:
On one of the other threads posted earlier in relation to this somebody said that the rb20 doesn't need this feed from the valve but the rb25 does- is this correct? :confused:
Was the blocking off of the valve the reason his dipstick blew out?:confused:

I too, like superclarkey want answers! I thought fitting of this would be so much simpler but it seems everybody has a different opinion on the matter and although as richf said, there are many ways of fiitting these things, there must be a 'best way'?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
The two times it blew the dipstick out were when i blocked off the one way valve and and vented to atmos, and when i tried it sealed ;)

The funny thing is i noticed whne i plumbed the one way valve back in if i put my finger over the pipes coming off the cams covers tehre was a strong vacum... this is why i belive my idle went as its been breaking some how :(

Confused and really need the anwser to why my dipstick is blowing out! :(

Discussion starter · #23 ·
well thinking about it, the one way valve is only going to let air into the plenum while on vacum... because if it was the other way .8bar in the crack case would not be good :)

So the reason my crack case built up was it had no were to go too release the pressure... but when driving the car it would close that valve regardless so it would be the same as blocking it off correct... so that shouldn't affect things.

As for the connection to the intake...this is the reason i want a catch tank so i should be able to block that off....

So when connected to atmos it should have worked correctly infact there is no reason why it shouldn't have.. its wasn't beathing hevely just poping the dipstick out WHY :(

So the question is why does my engine cause a pressure in the crankcase that don't seem to be able to exscape....

There is no blow by so that is not the reason... there is something evil at work here... i really want to know what the score is :(

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Sorry for got to say also the reason i decided you can't run the one way valve and the vent to atmos is because it will draw in unmessured air... correct... so if you vent to atmos you MUST block this.

Sorry about 3 posts in a row... thinking out loud :)

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I'm getting confused now, i've just removed the one way valve and it works correctyl so no issues there.

Then i took the pipe that was connected to one way valve and blew down it, and it breathed through the catch tank... as i released it blew back in my face...what is that about! haha

Discussion starter · #28 ·
the first picture of that link is how i have it plumbed up (same link up) and i'm still having problems... goign to strip the rockers off tomorrow and see what happens :)

The only thing i thought of is my engine is a Cefiro RB20DET with HCR32 skyline cam covers.... wonder if this could be causing a problem .

Clarkey.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Just found something else out, the pipe that goes from the the passangers side cam cover has a restrictor in it.. well in the stock pipe just found it back out and found a restricter with a 5mm hole in it... would this be anythign to do with my problem??

Clarkey.

Dunno mate, could be. I've just spent all afternoon shifting things about and making up a bracket for mine. It's now all fitted and just waiting for me to find some hose and plumb it in. I'm still a bit in the dark as the best way to do it.

Paul. Thats essensially how i was initially told to do it but Tpiecing both the breathers into one pipe. Just got a bit concerned first by superclakeys dipstick blow out when blocking the one way valve then overwhelmed by the number of variations on installation set ups and different advice from different people as to what was best.

Will probably make my first attempt on plumbing tomorrow, starting with the set up above. Watch this space....:cheers:

Discussion starter · #35 ·
sorted it :) The problem was totaly down to the fact i didn't have enought breathing leaving the engine...

I've welded on a -10 fitting onto both covers running to my new custom alloy catch tank (got any excuse to use AC tig :) ) which also has -10 fittings.. and i've put two 38mm K&N engine breather filters on the tank... it seems to have fixed it now :)

so its plumbed up with both plenum and induction is blocked off
and two lines to catch tank of cam covers :)

superclarkey said:
sorted it :) The problem was totaly down to the fact i didn't have enought breathing leaving the engine...

I've welded on a -10 fitting onto both covers running to my new custom alloy catch tank (got any excuse to use AC tig :) ) which also has -10 fittings.. and i've put two 38mm K&N engine breather filters on the tank... it seems to have fixed it now :)

so its plumbed up with both plenum and induction is blocked off
and two lines to catch tank of cam covers :)
Glad your drama is over! Fingers crossed i dont have any of my own to unburden tomorrow!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.