Skyline Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Is there any difference in the plumbing when fitting rb26 cam covers on a rb25, or is the only difference that they are just at the back of the cam covers instead of the front.
No mate it all plumbs up the same just different locations.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
That photo isn't very clear as far as colour is concerned, if the turbo is burning oil then the turbine usually has sooty coating like over fueling, but if severe it will sometimes have a wet look if its not been burnt off by gas temps, its a bit like reading plugs, the colour will reflect the last operating condition

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Sounds like a ring seal problem to me, compression check is always a good place to start.

·
Registered Chump
1,944 Posts
Looked on some catch cans for gtr 230 quid generic can or cusco can 70 I cant see why a can for a gtr would be 200 quid more surely thet all do the same thing ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yes same thing just a different shape to fit in the engine bay a bit more discreetly, just got GTR tax added.

·
Registered Chump
1,944 Posts
Hmm 30 quid or 230 lols its like looking at the widebands yesterday do they think skyline drivers are mugs ? Because ive found the oposite

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yes as you will get dust and debris drawn back in due to reversion pulsing, you need a reasonable length tube to avoid this and as said preferably plumbed back into the turbo intake with a catch can in between,
If you are talking about the idle/low throttle side I presume you have blocked off the plenum opening.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I would be inclined to do this, block the non return valve at the plenum, keep the balance pipe between the cam covers, and run each side to a catch tank, preferably a larger one than the ones you see on ebay, and in any case you will need three hose connection's on it, the third one goes back to the turbo intake, about three to four inches away from the turbine.

If you baffle the tank, or fill with stainless scouring pads, it will help to drop the oil vapor out of suspension, with the longish pipe runs and the tank, i doubt you will see hardly any oil through the intake.

This also helps keep a degree of positive crankcase evacuation, when its needed most at higher RPM and boost.
I'm doing my catch can your way Ricky as stated above all I need to know is the return pipe to the turbo side does it need to be mounted from the bottom of the catch can or towards the top

Daz is a cap end

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
All connection's need to be at the top or you will suck water/oil emulsion back into the turbo and intake, not good!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
This is a bit off topic but I have a bit of oil in the rear turbo ( it's settled in the hard pipe just in front of the compressor wheel ) it's got me worried my turbo seals may be on the way out on the rear but it may be oil from the breather pipe which is from the cam cover.... I was thinking can I block this connection temp just to see if the oil stops without causing issue

Daz is a cap end

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I strongly suspect its from the breather rather than the turbo, as to whether you still have the std PCV setup? is there only one breather going to one of the turbos on the GTR?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Yes I have standard pcv setup and yes it's only one breather to the rear turbo

Daz is a cap end

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Just remove it and vent to atmosphere for the test period, but block where you have removed it from the turbo intake, or you will be getting un metered air which will throw out the mixture.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Cool will do how much length should I put on it to vta or will the stock pipe be enough which is about 8"

Daz is a cap end

61 - 80 of 108 Posts