Skyline Owners Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
is it bad to just have the pcv valve hole open? like no valve or grommet just a hole?
Depends if your talking about the plenum or the cam cover, if plenum yes it definitely needs blocking, if the cam cover I would at least fit a length of pipe if your no fitting a can, just to stop dust and debris getting in.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Surely if you leave the cam cover open it will idle irratically ?

Sent from my GT-I9505
Only if you have the idle/low throttle breather with the one way valve still connected.

·
Registered Chump
1,944 Posts
How come they idle iratic when the oil cap is off then isnt that the same principal ? Or does the cam breather go off into a different circuit ?

Sent from my GT-I9505

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
It will only idle erratically if the the idle/low throttle side of the PVC system is still operating, you haven't been reading this thread have you.:spank:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice read! Good thread!
Will make me reconsider straight venting to atmosphere from now on!
Like the idea of scouring pads inside the catch can too!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thought i would make a little update to this, as i had a member contact me regarding catch tanks, and in particular regarding the old problem of bad head drainage on the RB engine, and in consequence the catch can filling with oil after a hard pull. or sustained high RPM driving.

Now i am unsure just how many have had this problem when leaving the std PCV system in place? and or if the problem is exacerbated by the way a catch can setup is plumbed in.

Now this is purely my thoughts, but the setup that was suffering from an oil flied catch can problem was set up as just one cam cover breather connected to a catch can and then the can vented directly to atmosphere, with the low throttle/cruse side left as std with the one way valve to plenum left untouched.

Now my thoughts are that if the (positive ventilation) side is not utilized IE not connected to a vacuum source, i am starting to think that its the lack of a vacuum that is compounding the head drainage problem by allowing the crankcase to slightly pressurize, which in turn prevents the draining of the oil in the head via the gallery to the sump.

I would be interested to hear peoples experiences with this problem, and just how they have the PCV or lack of it set up and its effects on head drainage?

101 - 108 of 108 Posts