Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some working knowledge of ceramics but not on cars ,where are they most suitable,the obvious choice is the exhaust and around the turbo but this could also increase heat soak causing damage me thinks .cooler is better I realize as it it increases volumetric effieciency in the combustion chamber so some clever bloke told me so could you ceramic coat your intake pipes would it make much of a difference.any thoughts ?:apoke: :alco:

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's always good to keep the inlet tract as cool as possible, but however cold you keep it, you will not increase the engine's volumetric efficiency (VE) purely by dropping inlet temperatures. Increase air density, yes, but not VE.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ceramic coating the manifold is the best thing, because heat energy is also used by the Turbo, so the hotter the gasses the better it performs.

Problem is, if you get ceramic breaking off upstream of the turbine, it will cause damage. Hence why it is very rarely done.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks for the info but I was wondering what if I were to coat the manifold externally , would it not have the benifits without the risk of internal damage:iamwithstupid:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep, lots of people ceramic coat the outer walls of the exhaust manifold, and it's said to be as effective as exhaust wrap. Though I doubt that, it is said to be an effective way to hold heat in the exhaust manifold and keep too much from radiating.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
the problem with coating the outside is that:

a) the manifold steel is not protected from the intense heat, so will still crack. One of the problems with steel manifolds.

b) the expansion co-eff is vastly different between steel and ceramic, so an external coating will soon crack off. Hence why wrapping is a more effective solution.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading your replies I think I'll leave the manifold alone,but I'm sure something in my engine bay wants to be coated:bounce:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts