Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed plugs over the weekend, when i got the car 4 months back pulled one out to check the condition seemed semi ok but i know i would need to change em. Had my ecu chiped 2 weeks back "fuel 'n' ignition map... pulled plugs on the weekend and they were black like the mixture was way to rich? or possibly normal?

·
Registered
327 Posts
thats on the heavier side, but fine..! they do run on the richer side on boost, so there not far off....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yep I agree just some overfulling a bit rich by the looks of it, depends on what yo had done with the ECU (Chipped????). Seems a but rich on the fuelling, I would have itchecked

Get some iridium plugs (0.8m gapped) in there mate, they will cope better, who mapped your ecu?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive got iridiums in there at the moment. but the thing is i dont want the new plugs to faul up like the old ones?.

the chip that was put in claimed to give me more power by altering the feul and ignition clearly its been richend and its funny because i swear im using more gas then i did before the chip was installed... im not keen to have new plugs faul up quick from this new fuel/ignition, And how is the exhaust turbine housing going to cope with this richend fuel map it would faul up more so in theroy correct? your thorts please. i want her running leaner

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poped out one of my brand new iridiums just before.
this is arfta 7 hours of driving:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so whats this going todo to my turbo and internals running it rich like this? i think im going to divert back to factory chip for now untill it the chip becomes a suitable applicant for my car.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
problems with running too rich is firstly obvious waste of fuel, but more importantly as i understand it the risk of 'bore wash' as the excess fuel contaminates your oil. It can lead to excessive oil consumption eventually.. and then its rebuild time.

keep a check on your oil, if it starts to smell strongly of petrol youll need to change it more often (or as you say remove this chip).

One other thing worth mentioning if you drive like a granny all the time (or lots of short trips) you can also see both problems (fouled plugs and oil contamination), does it good every so often to drive it harder to get the plugs hot so they self clean and the get the oil hot enough so the fuel evaporates from it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok cool good to know. I changed the oil last friday to penzoil 10w30 semi syn. on the saturday the new plugs went in. today i changed the chip back to factory definitly running leaner now took it for a hour drive on the motorway with abitov boosting here n there, the car seems to hall ass arfta stoping off the motor way then pulling back on to it - boost seems way stronger. ill keep dabs on the oil from now on

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
10W30 oil is not the best you can use mate. Go at least xxW40 as the RB engines do produce some serious heat, especially when running no oil cooler. a xxW30 oil won´t cope with the heat generated.

Regarding the plugs, yeah, you´re defo on the rich side of life. I would kick that chip to be honest. Run standard or get proper remap.

When fueling is being sorted go for some decent NGK Iridiums like BKR7EIX. But NOT NOW as fitting colder plugs to an engine that overfuels like crazy will make things even worse.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. trouble is i cant get my hands on some decent fully syn 10w40 or 5w40 i can get semi syn 10w40... what about 0w40 fully syn? or 5w50 fully syn there only to i can realy get dicounted at the time being

the cars running BK6's iridiums.

·
Chris
460 Posts
opieoils.co.uk for the win

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
id be worried pushing the car with 30 in there.
as above get in touch with OpieOils.co.uk on here for some 10w or 5w 40.

·
Drift Moderator
1,935 Posts
ive got iridiums in there at the moment. but the thing is i dont want the new plugs to faul up like the old ones?.

the chip that was put in claimed to give me more power by altering the feul and ignition clearly its been richend and its funny because i swear im using more gas then i did before the chip was installed... im not keen to have new plugs faul up quick from this new fuel/ignition, And how is the exhaust turbine housing going to cope with this richend fuel map it would faul up more so in theroy correct? your thorts please. i want her running leaner
Your plugs look ok to me. Running rich doesn't do anything to your turbo, and if anything will help it by keeping it cooler. The reason turbo engines are mapped a bit rich is because it helps cool the combustion and resist detonation so its actually often better, just more expensive in fuel. Tuners experiment with different air/fuel ratios and timing to see which works best but always go rich on turbo engines on boost to help the cooling.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
yeah agreed with royal there (and the other posts too) - tuners dont wanna overstress your car - the best saying I've heard is "you'll only get from the engine what it has to give" and if the weakest part can only take so much power then they'll err on the side of caution with remaps n tunes. Plug n play chips will also err on the cautious side so you will see an economy hit.
as said if your oil starts to honk of fuel your getting alot of wash going on there during combustion so you'll need to tone back the enrichment in some way - safc for example altho imho nothing at all beats dedicated ecu and proper full remap - It really does transform any car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not form the Uk so havent herd of those petrol companys before but we have BP and shell caltex here in NZ... BP is the only one that sells 98octane which is what my cars allways been run on.

Yeah ofcourse id love to have a pfc safcII get a annual map and be done with it however im a apprentice plumber on allmost min wage its a bit harder

OK good to know about the turbo ill check oil tonight see is smell like fuel.
Dose full synthetic just mean you dont have to change it as much as semi syn? or is Full syn actruly better for your motor?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts