Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gaz
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically i changed from a kenwood to sony single din head unit, didnt change any wiring as had iso connector, put new unit in and nothing happened no power or anything, so i thought ill try the old one and exactly the same happened , nothing no lights , no power , checked under dash fuses and the audio fuse is ok if anyone could help would be great thanks
Gareth

·
Registered
438 Posts
i had a problem where my aerial wasnt connecting and he radio wouldnt power up, as soon as i connected it up all was ok. so the aerial is plugged into the back of the radio?

·
Gaz
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no havent managed to get hold of an adaptor for it yet was gonna cut the feed cable and put ya normal aeriel plug on but decided i would wait til i got the right bit, but kenwood was running fine with no aeriel?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i dont have the ariel connected at all and my stereo worked when i got the car,when i fitted a headunit i ran a new ignition live from the ignition barrel and a new permanant from the battery and a direct earth to the transmission tunnel.
the nissan wires are shite,they arent up to spec for running new stuff anyway

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
everytime,it might take an hour to run and secure the wires but it makes a difference.
i measured voltage at the back of the headunit when i had the engine running and the stereo playing just over half volume(i was getting distortion above half volume and the amps power checked out fine at 13.8v),the battery said 14v and the headunit live wire was just under 12v,i did my new wires and hey presto 14v at the headunit and i could go higher on the volume with no distortion at all

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
Is it earthed properly? Check and make sure you didnt cause the earthing wire to come loose or anything like that, thats been my major problem, i always forget earthing

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i dont have the ariel connected at all and my stereo worked when i got the car,when i fitted a headunit i ran a new ignition live from the ignition barrel and a new permanant from the battery and a direct earth to the transmission tunnel.
the nissan wires are shite,they arent up to spec for running new stuff anyway
which wire did you use on the ignition barrel for the live?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check the earths..
Yep, i'dd say this is the problem. Had the same problem the other day and explains why it is'nt working when you changed it back.
Do as you've done but screw it into place because it's relying on the stereo metalwork earthing itself. Or take another cable from the black on the connector and put it down to earth.

·
Registered
341 Posts
you will definatly need the ariel connected as this provides the ground. on alot of nissans there is no ground wire gooin into the iso block. when the ariel goes up it does not mean it connected all that means is there is power going to it.

if that does not work then you mite wanna try making a ground into the iso block.

this is fairly simple, all you need is a bit of wire, a scotch lock and a "o" connector. you find a blolt connected to a ground of some sort (metal) then the get the piece of wire and connect the o connector onto the bolt and scotch lock the other end of the wire onto the black wire on the power side of the ISO blcok.

if this dont work then check lives (both) then if this dont sort it then it sounds like a dodgy unit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the same problem and was told when I bought my head unit that I'd need to connect a seperate earth to the head unit as the black cable in the standard Nissan wiring isn't a decent earth.

Connected a seperate cable from the cage to the black on the head unit and hey presto!

My 2p worth ; )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.