Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
yeh i get the maplin catalogue too. i have a USB slot in my headunit that i run a memory key through sometimes, has anyone ever tried a USB HDD?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, perfect for backup in small companies also for sharing files over a network....

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd been thinking of doing that very thing, Spoon. Almost ordered one of the 100gb 2.5 ones they have for 40 or summit, but then I thought about it and it would take a long time to get to some of the tracks.
Once I get my engine upgrades done, think I might do a carpc install.

·
SuprSkyline
62 Posts
I have a 500gb built into my car, i have a USB on my car stereo so it plugs right in....I have 80,000 songs on it, and it has never givin' me any problems, what-so-ever...I even got a file-controller, what it does is, it plugs into the USB port on the stereo, and then the Hard Drive plugs into it...and it gives you a small lcd display, makes it alot easier to manage all those songs...almost like an IPOD!...and 80,000 songs still leaves alot of room on that 500gb, like another 45,000...so it is real nice!!!

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
just to note.... Ebuyer have a better deal for a 400gb for just over £53.99 thats a maxtor external!

just to let ya know!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
231 Posts
tip for anyone planning on using one for music storage through a car stereo though - make sure the HDD is USB powered. some of the desktop external USB drives have a seperate 240v power supply so you might not be able to get it to work in the car without hassle

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
any drive over 160GB will be externally powered due to it being a 3.5" drive.

2.5" notebook drives can be powered by USB, but even some of them require power from 2 USB ports :) oh and only available up to 160GB

·
SuprSkyline
62 Posts
The only problem with getting one that is USB powered is that, ALOT of the car stereos that come with the USB connection, do not supply enough power to "properly" power the drive, which in the long run can cause Hard Drive errors, from the drive sectors starting to die...just like under-powering anything else..it might work, but for how long...and how well...it is best just to get one with an external power and just hook up a 12V ac/dc adapter, to plug it in...that's what I did!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only problem with getting one that is USB powered is that, ALOT of the car stereos that come with the USB connection, do not supply enough power to "properly" power the drive, which in the long run can cause Hard Drive errors, from the drive sectors starting to die...just like under-powering anything else..it might work, but for how long...and how well...it is best just to get one with an external power and just hook up a 12V ac/dc adapter, to plug it in...that's what I did!!!
yeh that's what I was figuring which is why I hadn't bothered yet. so they run okay off 12v?

·
SuprSkyline
62 Posts
Yeah they run pretty good, off of a 12V inverter...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts