Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Random Sarcasm Generator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have come to the conclusion that I cannot track my GTT as it is in too good a nick to ruin and should be preserved for future generations to vandalise and TWOC. So this leads me on a quest to find cheap track slags and my few hours spent trawling ebay, pistonheads, autotrader etc... leads me to believe that there is no such thing any more.

Yes there are some total **** boxes out there but people seem to think that £1500 for a 20 year old BMW with more owners than a Soho whore has STDs is a good deal. I was going to find a wreck of a Pulsar and play with that but then I realised that I would want to take it to DWYB days and being 4WD would make that difficult. So I went back and started looking at old Datsun/Nissan stuff as I had seen some of the projects done with old Japanese taxies that for some reason had RBs and JZs fitted to them and decided that I wanted an A31 Cefiro! So anyone have any clue on the prices for A31 Cefiros? I don't mind if it has a green glow and a light dusting of cesium isotopes as I am secretly Batman and thus immune to radiation.

Yes I know there is one for sale on this very forum but I want to build it myself with an eye of taking it to the PPC £999 challenge next year so need it cheap as possible.

Mean while this means my GTT gets more bubbly sponge baths and the occasional trip to somewhere scenic (not S****horpe) along with being the envy of my works car park as they are all forced into grey/silver euro boxes so they can take little Timmy to La Cross practice.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I can't understand car prices at the moment. Up until a few years ago I|'d never paid more than £300 for a car. And most of them (with the exception of the Fords) were no less reliable or costly than driving a fairly new motor.

Now you look on ebay and there's old Micras listed at 3k, being quoted as a classic car. I can understand with some cars...but a Micra! I keep looking for Bluebirds. And the going rate on Ebay seems to be 1k (though they can be had cheaper). And that's not the 1.8zx (you'll pay through the nose for one of them!). Last one I bought was £200 with 50k miles on the clock, complete with a full MOT. There's only me interested in Bluebird's for christ sake. It's not exactly a lucrative market. I don't understand who is buying these things. If anyone.

I blame the scrappage scheme. And I shall end my rant there :)

I imagine a good cefiro will be hard to find for under 1k. There's very few about, so they seem to go for around the standard import rate...about 3.5k.

·
Car work on a budget, a very SMALL budget :(
3,080 Posts
I was thinking of getting a Bluebird for doing up for track as well. My dad used to have one, I quite liked it...

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Maybe look into turbo Bluebird or Avenir - unsure if they can be converted to rwd. The Avenir is one hell of a sleeper though!

I wouldn't touch anything starting with an 'M' ^^
Those things weigh almost 1800kg :)eek:) and are far from reliable.

·
3,080 Posts
Perhaps true but surely stripped out for track use only they would weight a lot less.

You could lose a ton of weight off a GTO by removing the front wheel drive and the 4 wheel steering.

For £900 it would be worth a pop perhaps.

I have never driven or owned a Mitsi but I have always liked the GTO.

·
9,198 Posts
True, you probably could make it light... but I believe they have a terrible reputation for reliability so not ideal for use on a track!
They are quite common cars here.... I never see any modified examples. Maybe thats a sign...?

RWD + RB26 conversion ? :D

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
Dare I say it..... Mazda MX5...

Cheap as, parts easily available.... and if you want powarrrrrr not that expensive to turbocharge on a budget !

·
9,198 Posts
Dare I say it..... Mazda MX5...

Cheap as, parts easily available.... and if you want powarrrrrr not that expensive to turbocharge on a budget !

It hurts me to admit it, but thats a bloody good idea!

Even if left n/a, a few mods in the right places will give excellent bang for buck

·
3,080 Posts
If I had the money I would love to build one myself.

What about an FTO? They are dirt cheap at the moment..

·
9,198 Posts
FTO - front wheel drive

I know someone who did an R34 front end conversion on an MX5.
Before you vomit, he actually pulled it off flawlessly and it did visually work!
It has a turbo conversion and a LOT of other work - think show car. I never saw it run, but I heard the power figures and ...WOW!

·
Random Sarcasm Generator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still rwd and thus hard to drift ;)

Avenir is a good call but it is just finding one and getting it to the UK without being bummed. I was looking at MX-5s but I am not too keen on tracking a soft top.

·
Seasoned Member
9,057 Posts
Still rwd and thus hard to drift ;)

Avenir is a good call but it is just finding one and getting it to the UK without being bummed. I was looking at MX-5s but I am not too keen on tracking a soft top.
Get the hardtop to go with it, and the decent roll bars!

·
9,198 Posts
I know an FTO is front wheel drive but with an RB26 conversion it would be rapid :)
haha it would, I don't think they weigh too much from factory too!
...but an RB just wouldn't look right in that engine bay, a 26 deserves to be in something nicer :D

Carfiend : How about the Laurel?
They are as common as bloody sheep here so I'd imagine you guys have them too?
Almost all came with an RB (some turbo) so any engine conversions are easy too
Like the S13 option, they make a great track car too :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Barely any Laurel's over here unfortunately. Spotted a couple of old one's about when I had the bluebird, but if they were ever sold over here it must've been in vary small amounts.

·
9,198 Posts
Barely any Laurel's over here unfortunately. Spotted a couple of old one's about when I had the bluebird, but if they were ever sold over here it must've been in vary small amounts.
Ahh, that sucks. You guys are definitely missing out on a bit of Nissan goodness :(

But ya have the Skyline ....and they are so much better anyway :D

·
Just another brick in the wall
2,693 Posts
A mate of mine has a friend who runs an import company so if your serious he can see what you can do. I enquired with him as I'm hoping to get an R32N/A or R34N/A some time soon but the biggest problem is the cost of 2nd hand cars in Japan at the moment. According to him the prices have gone up over what you'd expect to pay. Apparently the 2nd hand market is doing better than usual because of the recent destruction leading to alot of cars being lost/ people having to buy another one.

As for the markets over here, i'm surprised these sort of cars arn't cheaper with rising costs and people looking to get rid of them.
If you were just looking for track i'd go for a cheap Scooby or the GTO. For something rwd s13 or r32 (gts would be nearer that price). Keep an eye on driftworks matey

1 - 20 of 36 Posts