1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I hope you aren't going to put it in your skyline

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Halfords only have one oil suitable for Skyline's, Mobil 1, and even that's not the best option available as elsewhere, try Opie oils who advertise on here for example, where you can get a far better lube than any at Halfords and probably for similar or less money.

I would recommend you read some of the oil related threads on this forum before you go wasting money on oil which you'll have to change every 2000 miles or alternatively rebuild your engine every 3 years or so.

I have to be honest here, what are folk's with so little understanding of motor mechanics doing buying a car like a Skyline?

Aitch

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Halfords only have one oil suitable for Skyline's, Mobil 1, and even that's not the best option available as elsewhere, try Opie oils who advertise on here for example, where you can get a far better lube than any at Halfords and probably for similar or less money.

I would recommend you read some of the oil related threads on this forum before you go wasting money on oil which you'll have to change every 2000 miles or alternatively rebuild your engine every 3 years or so.

I have to be honest here, what are folk's with so little understanding of motor mechanics doing buying a car like a Skyline?

Aitch
Not really sure what the relevance of my technical understanding is? Could you not argue that about the dvd player or the lawnmower you dont quite understand?

That said i looked at the previous oil put in which was 0w30 according to the log i had with car and accompanied that with another thread i had seen on here.

If i'm wrong then i'm open to recommendation.

Thank you.

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
I've Got Silkolene 5W-40 in mine, as recommended & baught from Opie Oils, (I used there Ebay site, but that was before I realised thay had a web site)

will be popping down to redruth to pick up some more from them soon too!

give oilman a bing! he is the god at this stuff!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sorry for the abrubt response Chief, but when you've been here a few years and get the same basic posts over and over again on a daily basis trust me you'll have a knee jerk reaction to them too.

The time available to deal with new stuff is reduced by such posts, it also demeans the efforts of users and traders, who have put in lot's of time to create a FAQ's section and huge great threads on this and other similar topics. On the oil topic there are whole reams of technical data sheets, lab tests, expert reviews and opinions from hundreds of users, compiled into a number of incredibly detailed articles.

Personally I think that when a subject has been so clinically disected and preserved for posterity, any subsequent requests for info should either be blocked or automatically diverted to the relevant thread or FAQ sheet. But I suppose that's what the Search button is for..

In the interests of maintaining the aims of the forum howver here's my advice..ring Opie Oils, numbers here on the site, or email for attention Simon or Guy. They will advise in detail if required, but most here use Silkolene Pro S or Pro R, and some use Motul but it's not necessary for most Skylines.

P.S. If I ever see this type of basic lube query again I'm going to SCREAM!

Aitch

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pervert................. but I did chuckle too, note to self when I eventually find the skyline I want don't ask about oil lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aitch - i know what your saying mate - we're all virgins to a car at some point or another. I do use the search function for most things but occcasionally they dont work maybe as well as they should.

I can empathise entirely after 18 months on scoobynet seeing debates over whether optimax was better than BP ans crap like that though.

Cheers
Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.