Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by Tiggs Coke bottle at TOTB2 I decided to fulfill an ambition and add a catch tank to my GTSt.

I used a soldering iron to cut out the 2 holes which might stop the edges splitting. It's quite a hard bottle so should be ok for a good while. There's neoprene to stop it chafing too. And if I get an alloy one in the future then i've got the hoses and fittings already.

Total cost: £12

Attachments

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Very good...

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buster - No :)

Done about 150 miles with it now and not so much as discolouring. I thought the 'U' shaped hose might have a valve in it but no it's all clear from the cam cover. Time will tell.

Oh, i've got your air feed on now and am thinking about getting a panel filter and putting the airbox on, just to see what difference it makes. I'm really not sure about the filtration of these Trust Airinx pods. I'm not fussed about the induction noise either. I may just build a partition fed by the stock air feed though.

One day i'll make my mind up :rolleyes:

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
moschops, your an artist
is that, one tube from the cam cover and the other tube back to the air intake pipe's?
so simple, yet effective. is there anything keeping it airtight? or are the pipes just a "friction fit"?

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An artist? but I don't drink ;)

The exit pipe heads off under the floor and stops just after the clutch slave cylinder. I've not smelt anything yet but if it get's too much i'll just add pipe onto that piece and take it to the bumper (like Shin's).

The pipes are a friction fit.

Should I block the pipe from the cam cover to the plenum? I think I should but don't have the bits at the moment.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sweet job. There is one pipe that needs blocking I believe in that arrangement. Not sure on an RB25 which tho. THere's a thread kicking around with a load of pics of mine which shows it on thr RB20, but to be honest I don't have time to look for it.

Just wait til it fills with brown gunk!

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i've seen your post Jock (it sowed the seed some time ago) and I think it's the pipe I just mentioned. I'll block it up later.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your engine breathes a certain amount of air out, I think most of it is blow-by which is air going past the pistons and into the crankcase. It's usually fed into the intake so that it can be burned (you know all that environmentally friendly crap). With this setup it is vented to atmosphere via a container to catch all of the nasty stuff that normally get sucked back into the turbo, like oil and water vapour.

I think oil vapour in the intake charge reduces power.

There's probably more to it than that but when I saw what had been collected by Peter on the GTR forum I thought it looks a worthwhile mod. :eek: :eek:

When it's been in a while i'll post another pic of it's contents.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You get loadsa oily air recirculated basically. Gunks up the throttle butterfly etc (and the turbo I am told).

Catch tanks help keep it all clean.

The crap that comes out of mine every few months when I empty it is, frankly, disturbing.

Its like baby diarrhoea.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
yep, my coke bottle looks full of crap!! but we are modding the coke bottle...pics to follow when done....the next mod is all aluminum, but cost the same price as the coke bottle...

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
tigger said:
yep, my coke bottle looks full of crap!! but we are modding the coke bottle...pics to follow when done....the next mod is all aluminum, but cost the same price as the coke bottle...
All aluminium....err Coke can then ? :D
Of course it could be Tango/Pepsi etc......Don't think the flavour restricts it's abilities :D :D

N

·
0 Posts
thanks for the info guys & gals .
i'm going 2 make one . will filling it with steel wool help the oil vapour revert back to oil " sludge" ?
is it a good idea 2 have it venting to atmosphere " legal even "?

Attachments

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the way that with a clear bottle you can always see what's in there. Somebody needs to invent a clear metal :)

I can't see venting to atmosphere has any legal implications.
Not sure about the steel wool.

When this bottle is knackered I might try one of those 2-stroke oil bottles, much stronger and some have the clear strip down the side to see the level.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm... My allow one has a sight tube on the side so you can see how full it is.

Not sure if filling with steel wool would help, it just won't hold as much. The sludge that gathers in there isn't in vapour form by the time it gets there.

Stains everything it touches as well.. My lovely clear spring coiled hoses are now a **** brown colour!

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As promised, here's what it's caught since I put it in.

There was very little oil in the bottle - in fact just enough to cover the bottom of the bottle but not enough to run when the bottle was tipped up. I couldn't see any oil in the water which was just bright orange. This I suppose is just condensation from inside the engine.

I guess it's a good sign it's not blowing oil out? Thinking about it perhaps the oil vapour is suspended in the air and is just not being collected, and maybe it would if it was a metal container.

I've put the same bottle back as it was fine although a bit distorted. What a cheapskate!! lol

Bugger - it raises more questions for me than it answers! :rolleyes: :)

Attachments

E

·
0 Posts
Bloody hellfire. All that in 4 months?

what exactly is that made up of? Water? Oil? Tizer?
Or is it from the klotex advert?

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
The lab said his specimin was fine, but he needs to lay of the fully synthetic oil and try some Stella, as its probably better for him.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts