Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking on the other site and found some good advice on cleaning your R33 headlights. From what i have read people just t-cut them, on this thread it suggested putting the in oven and opening them up to clean the inside too, well worth a look and I will be doing on weekend. Keep your fingers crossed for me !

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
There was a thread a while back about removing the orange lens covers on indicators with the same technique if you are feeling brave and the headlight thing works :)

Good luck....................

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont feel like doing it now !! Surely after taking them out its only warming them to soften seal clean, warm and re-fix seals and re-fit ? Even I feel its quite easy or I would not risk it ! Or am I missing something ?

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
I T-Cut mine, works a treat. I sure someone suggested tootpaste as well on a thread I read. Can't see they can get that dirty on the inside, if you have to bake them to get them open in the first place

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree in principle but i tried cleaning mine with G3, same but more powerful version of t cut and made hardly any difference, they seem smoked inside, almost melted looking.

S

·
0 Posts
On Jacqui's car we thought they were smoked and one day while giving the leading edge of her bonnet a T-cut I got some on the headlight - so I polished it off and to say the difference was marked is an understatement!!

What I do now is every three months or so I give them a T-cut and a good wax - helps to keep them nice and clear. The G3 may well be a bit to harsh for the plastic.

generally if the headlights are a bit leaky (suffer from internal condensation) then they need taking apart to be cleaned.

Simon

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what you all reckon to this, if i take them apart if pooible i could mask the light lenses and spray the black plastic suurounds silver. Would brighten them up and make them look more modern I feel. Any thoughts !

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Some models did come with silver insides, possibly four door cars?

I think young Eddie might have had his in the oven to split them. I've not got the bottle.

Mycroft on the other side once mentioned that the plastic needs 'sealing' with something to make it stay shiny longer.

Here's a how to which might be useful, but using yank products though - Click me

So, as usual lots of 'i think' but not much hard info! :D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just spoken to my mate who is a sprayer, he said its quite a good idea so their gonna be done.

E

·
0 Posts
Thats exactly what i was about to say Mr B only i got quoted £462 + VAT + shipping. A long way over £500 a side.

I`ll suffer the dirty lenses

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the UK spec R33's from Middlehurst had chromed internals and glass lenses instead of matt black and plastic lenses.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Dunno mate they were all GTR's. Unless they just stuck GTR badges on GTS's and charged £55k for em. :D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update, lights are off and apart have taken pics too so should be helpful to others, problem is one is now broken (See wanted section) so need a new cover for one, any ideas welcome ??

·
Chief Weeble
863 Posts
oops, was bein' dislexic, with the date. Does anyone have any before and afters pictures for the t-cut option?

If not I will do some tonight methinks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts