Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a few steps away from owning a r32 gtst, only thing stopping me is insurance and registration. If anyone from PA could share some insight on the registration process, and any info about insurance would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not from Pa, but I have mine plated in Az and have my insurance through Geico. It took them like 10-15 min but it wasn't a hard ordeal. Just have to explain what the car is to them. I think mine is like 30-40 bucks a month for it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight, is it just insured & registered as a regular vehicle or classic or how'd you go about it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had mine registered at the dealer when I bought mine. She's under daily driver insurance at Geico. But, I'm down in FL. Is there a difference between regular and classic registration up there? I only know that there is a regular and collection insurance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine is set up as a regular vehicle. Here in Az, classics can only be driven about 2-3k miles a year so the insurance reflects that. My supervisor has an 89 GTR that is classic. He drives it maybe once ever 2-4 weeks. So, unlike him id rather go out with the car whenever and enjoy the *******. I'm sure I pay a few bucks more a month but I think its totally worth it

·
Registered
31 Posts
took me 3 dmv's until somebody with knowledge about how to do their job to get it done, call progressive...took me a minute and the dude gave me props for having a skyline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Pennsylvania, classic cars don't have to be safety inspected nor get an emissions test, but I'll only be able to drive 5k miles a year. Which is fine because it's going into storage for the winter. My buddy's father owns a progressive branch, and he's a car guy so I will give him a shout this week. Ultimately, I'd like to have a deposit on gtst within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you need tips on the registration process I wrote a guide on my blog. This is part 5 of my import guide that talks about registration:

23GT: Buying Your Own JDM Car Part 5: Drivers Masochistic Visit

As for insurance, State Farm made it easy for me. Just needed the proof it was legally imported and invoice and I was good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: got insurance through progressive for $106/month which I don't think is bad considering I'm 19, this will be my first policy on my own, and I have a DUI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts