Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work on Tuesday, it was really REALLY hot, so I had the air con on about 23° auto, shades on, as you do, when I thought I saw mist inside the car, lifted the shades to see what was going on and the air vents were all pumping out a white fog, it dissipated about 6 inches after it left the vent, but it worried me a bit, didnt smell or anything, It hasnt done it since, not even once, but it worried me a bit, anyone know what it was? Shall I get the air con looked at?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Or am I poisoning myself slowly to death!! :crazy: :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, wasnt smoking, it was really wierd, it seemed to do it more if I booted it.. very very :confused: :confused: :(

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
We had the same with A/C in Saudi, it's just the difference in air temp makes the colder stuff show as a mist until it warms up (about 6in from the vent). That was the explanation we were given anyway.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, could be an explanation Ian, cheers, seems odd though as it was still happening after 20 minutes of driving....

I think it could probably do with a recharge anyway, so I will get them to check it over at the same time....

More expense! :rolleyes:

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Get them to check out your heater matrix as well. Have you lost any fluid from the cooling system? I had a similar problem on a cavalier, turned out to be a small leak in the heater matrix.
In reply to IanH's post, yes I agree but its also related to the humidity of the air as well. During the summer months when its very dry....no white clouds. During September when its really humid....you get loads of clouds untill the a/c takes the water vapour out of the air. Also don't forget to put the a/c on recircation.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check the cooling system later on today, it needs a flush anyway, I dont think there is any anti freeze in it... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I never put the A/C on recirculation, perhaps I should?? :confused:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Skip said:
it was really REALLY hot, so I had the air con on about 23° auto
It was hot so you had it on 23°? My aircon has been se to nothinf but 18° for a week now - and I wish it would go lower!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You have absolutely nothing to worry about and there is probably nothing broken.
It is simply physics doing what physics does..ie. cold air meeting warm humid air. Same principle as clouds, or the steam from your kettle. If you set the aircon to recycle you will build up a fog inside the car because it is not drawing any fresh air from the outside. The recycle feature is particularly handly when passing by a pig farm or worse, otherwise only use it for short periods of a few minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hiya Moschops,

Saw you emigrated from the "other" place,
Bit of a ding dong going on at the moment so I'm keepin' my head down

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Y'know, in a similar vein I often get snowed on by the a/c at work. If its a really hot day and we've cranked it down low it produces the occasional little flurry. Most disturbing with all the electronics around....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Clouds...

Ant GTR said:
It was hot so you had it on 23°? My aircon has been se to nothinf but 18° for a week now - and I wish it would go lower!!
Yup, I have been playing around with it and found that it doesnt have to work so hard to keep it a nice ambient temperature, 23 is just nice after an initial blast of about 19-20....

Guess I am just a wierdo!! :rolleyes:

Although with the searing heat today I dared to have it on 20 continuously.... lol :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Isaac Hunt said:
what is the advantage of recirculation, and (probably an obvious one this) whats the difference between AIRCON and ECON?
Isnt ECON the ventilation mode (without cooling) and AIRCON, well, air conditioning that cools the cabin down pretty much the same way a fridge works?

When I drive a car with A/C, I usually dont use it. When it's too hot, I put the A/C on and the windows down so the hot air in the car can escape and drive with open windows for a minute.

Recirculation recirculates the air in the passenger compartment. That accelerates the cool down process as the air in the cabin will soon be colder than the air outside (when it's hot outside). It also keeps smells out to a great extend (like driving by pig farms :D ;)) I use it after closing the windows (after that 1 minute with open windows) when it's really hot and then put it back to normal so I dont suffocate from the low oxygen content ;) :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
hahaha ask AppleJack I scared the life out of him in the car at SantaPod I think he thought my car was on fire, but bless him he didnt say a word to me.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Had this happen a lot when I was out in Singapore.
Doesn't normally get so hot in the UK and thats probably why you've never seen it before. :cool: :D

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Has it been hot ? I never noticed ::eek:

Enough is enough now turn the bloody wick down.

Whoever invented aircon for cars , bloody brilliant.

Would sleep in the bugger with it ticking over, but you can bet your bottom dollar some Do Gooder will drag me out thinking I was doing myself in. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Figures though really....... I started to get used to hot weather out in Singapore, then they send me over to the US where the summers can be really nice, but this year it's been relatively sh*tty and the UK gets record temperatures.
Just my bloody luck! :( :D

Ah well, at least I'm safe in the knowledge that you lot are sweating your @rses off :D :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts