Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a bit of a noise over the past few days, coming from under the car.....

Gradually traced it to the gearbox/clutch (ie it disappears when I depress the clutch pedal). Fairly sure its a new noise, as I am sure I woulda noticed it by now (or, its just gotten louder).

What happens is.... When the car's idling, there is a mechanical whirring noise from the 'box. It disappears when I depress the clutch (you can actually hear it come and go as the pedal is pressed and the clutch engages/disengages.). No Idea if its still there when I am driving (as I can't hear anything over the exhaust), but presume it is whenever the clutch is out (ie pedal not depressed).

Anyone got any ideas what it is?

:confused:

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Thrust Bearing maybe..............

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
what clutch is in there

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
To be honest it might just be the release bearing needs changing or tightening up.

To get at it, obviously you need to take prop shaft off, gearbox dropped down to view the clutch and everything.

It depends if it is really bothering you or not.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Another vote for the release bearing. A new one shouldn't cost much, it's the time getting to it that's the pain.

How's the clutch action - if it's still nice and smooth then probably ok to leave it for a while - as the bearing gets worse your clutch action is likely to get a bit sticky and jerky - not nice.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys....

Standard clutch (that I know of), but to be honest I have no idea!

Its not that it bothers me so much as I don't want to knacker anything if its in need of fixing. Clutch action itself is fine, same as ever.

Reckon its worth getting someone to look/listen?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
I think its always worth someone else opinion as they can actually hear it. I think they might say Release Bearing or Thrust Bearing.

:)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Release bearing I reckon. 20 quid for a new one and whatever labour to remove the box and fit it. I would change the clutch anyway if the box is comming off. A clutch kit comes with a release bearing as well as they are wear items.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the same kind of noise combined with difficulty when changing to 2nd and 4th. I'm gonna bleed the clutch at the weekend and adjust it (if possible), before I go for a new clutch.

Has anyone bled and/or adjusted a clutch on a 1996 R33 GTS25rt?

E

·
0 Posts
I get the same noise jock. You can hear it on tickover. It kinda clicks a bit when you let off the clutch. It dont bother me much so i`ll leave untill it dies a horrid death. Hopefully i wont be approaching a roundabout in rush hour traffic in 5th.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, cheers guys. Got a very good quote for clutch replacement, pity I am el skinto.... :(

Lanky..... No idea mate, I was wondering how to do it on an RB20DET. Anyone got any suggestions on the best way to do it yourself?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Richard's "LunchTime" QuickFit

·
Registered
299 Posts
Richard I've had this from Abbey, on just an up rated clutch? (I asked for a standard Nissan replacement)

clutch cover £128-00 + vat
centre plate £111-00 + vat
bearing £ 18-00 + vat
Labour to fit £150-00 + vat
gearbox oil £ 10-00 + vat

How would you compare?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts