Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to fit my new coilovers (teins) today to my 4 door r32 and came across a snag with the back ones. The fitment at the bottom is different to that on the springs on my car. The front ones are fine.

The fitment i have is like this

and the new shocks are like this all round

They are definately the correct fitting on the new ones. Can anyone help - is the 4 door fitment different from 2 door. Is there anything that i can do to fit these - any suggested modification to allow it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
incorrect.

my r32 ones are like the tein ones at the top, really surprised to see you have the forks on yours

·
Registered
54 Posts
here are the hks ones I fitted to mine a couple of months ago to my r32

shorter ones for the front and longer ones on the rear

fitted perfectly to mine and mines r32 gtst, is yours a rb20det with 5 stud rwd? or has yours been converted at some point?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I know on the R33's the fittings are different between the GTR and the GTS for the reason you describe.Maybe the R32 4 door is the similar and you may need the GTR kit or something?
Thing is Oli's have the same fitting.
Have you got the part number for the tein's?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Been looking and found out the R32 GTR suspension is also the same as r32 GTS4 suspension.(which is different to the gts)
So..
Probably unlikely but is yours 4wd?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Could get a GTST4 I guess

Didn't know that though, mine came in a box with BNR32 on the box, no mention of GTR or GTS-t

·
Registered
828 Posts
The R32's had turbo's on the gts's whereeas all the r33 GTS4's where NA.

OK well i found the solution for whatever reason..

The gtr/gts4 suspension is different from the gts suspension in the exact same way as sxygirls.If she gets the GTR/GTS4 kit it will fit and be correct.Its only the rears which are different.

Either she has got a GTS4 OR it could be at some stage in its life its had the rear hub assemblies etc upgraded to have better/bigger brake set up or to have a better range of suspension options maybe.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
you require gtr fitment as i made a similar mistake with mine. the gtr has the forked bottom, while gtst has the 'donut' fitting that you have.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know on the R33's the fittings are different between the GTR and the GTS for the reason you describe.Maybe the R32 4 door is the similar and you may need the GTR kit or something?
Thing is Oli's have the same fitting.
Have you got the part number for the tein's?
Not to hand - but, was at Fast and Modified today, snuck onto the sxoc stand with the skyline!!:yum: and spent the day with my partner in crime, underneath every skyline in the show!! It is deffo that the gtrs have the fork on the rears and the gts-t the other fitting. My car was an import from dubai a year ago and its history is not known - if the gtr coilovers are okay just to fit on then great - but what i was wondering is if the chassis number code means anything in terms of model and so on. The help on here is brilliant and really appreciated

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yeah GTR ones will fit fine.

RE chassis number code i dont know myself (maybe someone has codes????)

The way i would try to find out is to look at the engine code on a plate in the engine bay.Not sure where it would be but Sarge could tell you.On the R33 its on the bulkhead in the engine bay in front the driver.

Atleast we could see what the car started out life as.
It will start with 2 or 3 letters and then 32.
IE something like
HR32 or HCR32 or something.

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah GTR ones will fit fine.

RE chassis number code i dont know myself (maybe someone has codes????)

The way i would try to find out is to look at the engine code on a plate in the engine bay.Not sure where it would be but Sarge could tell you.On the R33 its on the bulkhead in the engine bay in front the driver.

Atleast we could see what the car started out life as.
It will start with 2 or 3 letters and then 32.
IE something like
HR32 or HCR32 or something.

Let us know and we can point you in the right direction.
The chasssis code starts HCR32 and then the number
under that is the model number and its RCR32GFSLT 1C

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
sxygirl,

The way I see it is you have 2 options:

1.) Get the Teins replaced with GTR type, with fork attachment bracket on rears. (this might be difficult seeing as you have already fitted the fronts, and spring rates/ valving may be different if only the rears are swapped.)

2.) Keep the TEINS and replace the rear hub carriers with GTS ones. Fairly easy mod to do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sxygirl,

1.) Get the Teins replaced with GTR type, with fork attachment bracket on rears. (this might be difficult seeing as you have already fitted the fronts, and spring rates/ valving may be different if only the rears are swapped.)

2.) Keep the TEINS and replace the rear hub carriers with GTS ones. Fairly easy mod to do.

I havent fitted the fronts - thought it best as they were a set to leave it and see what best to do. I've emailed the place i got them from and waiting for a reply - only prob that may be is that they dont have GTR fitting teins on their online shop as an option so i may have to follow your second suggestion

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
sxygirl,

3.) or cut the fork attachment off the old shock and weld it onto the new one

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
sxygirl,

Sorry, don't know where I got that info from:shakehead:
But yes replacing the set would be cheapest option, although hub carriers won't be too much money either. In fact I probably have one that is yours if you want it.

I am actually looking to do the reverse mod myself, because I want to fit Bilstein PSS9 suspension to my car, and it is GTR only fitment. So first dibs on your hub carriers if you decide to change:boogy:

Richf,

Are you serious, lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well HCR 32 throws back
HCR32 was only a 4 door.

RB20DE GTS Type S
GTS Type X
RB20DET GTSt (Only cars made before Aug 1991)
GTSt TypeM

So atleast it tallys so it is what you think it is and not something different etc.
Obviously somewhere along the line its had some form of rear end conversion for whatever reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts