Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So is anyone running with coilovers, if yes did you fit them?
What's the ride like now?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
BC are about the best value, if you fit the kit intended for the 350Z the ride is slightly better as the Z is around 100kgs lighter than the GT.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what I still need to know is how hard is coilovers compared to std springs/shocks.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,968 Posts
I have never used a set of coil overs on any car that did not make the ride at least slightly harsher then std, and most considerably more harsh.

I guess you could always specif a much lower spring rate, but that would kind of defete the object.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm running a set of Tanabe Comfort Pro coilovers. I wanted something that would let me lower the car a bit with some adjustable features while trying to maintain a comfortable ride. I was very optimistic about the the Tanabe's as the selling point is 'comfort' focused, but the spring rates of the springs are really high so that put me off a bit. Apparently, the internal dampening of the shock absorbers work well together with the springs Tanabe provides so the combination is fairly decent. From what I researched, it seems that there is a correlation between stiffer springs and comfort, but the internal dampening of the absorber itself plays a role as well.

Furthermore, and I could be wrong, but I believe you actually want a stiffer ride when lowering the car. If the spring rate of the springs are too soft, the car will bottom out when going over bumps, therefore a stiffer spring prevents this from happening which more critical on a lowered car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts