Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, a while ago I did a compression test and the results were all between 120-135psi.
Since then I have done the timing belt and found the valve timing was out by a tooth, since correcting it I’ve been meaning to find time to do another one. Today I did another one and found all cylinders to be 120-122psi.
I always thought the engine was very tired and on its way out (which it could still be), but do you guys think it’s a possibility that it could have a thicker head gasket to purposely lower the compression?
I appreciate all thoughts,
Ben :)

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
Yes a little low but were they consistent between the cylinders that is more important, did you do the test hot/cold , dry and or oil etc?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes a little low but were they consistent between the cylinders that is more important, did you do the test hot/cold , dry and or oil etc?
Hi mate, I did the test with an up to temp engine and dry, just wondering if theres a possibility that someone has stuck a thicker head gasket in and planned to go bigger turbo in the past as all compression results are fairly equal across all cylinders.
Also when I got it tuned, he said that it wasn’t responding well to more timing and got closer to det where normally they safely take more timing, which is making me think if someone has messed with the quench...?

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
I would at least try it with a wet test to see if they come up just to eliminate the valves, better off with a leak down test, however in theory if it did have lowered compression the timing would depend on the amount of boost it's running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts