Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My harddrive stopped working a few weeks ago but i got a new one and its all up and running again. The problem is i can't get any data off the old harddrive (it makes a strange clicking noise when its plugged in and freezes when you try to access it). Is there a way to get it off as all my old pictures are on there? Secondly when i put my new harddrive in i forgot to unlug my card reader from the motherboard first before i installed XP. Now my harddrive shows up as the 'H' drive instead of 'C' drive. Is there any way of changing this back to 'C' without reinstalling windows again? It doesn't really bother me what its called but it won't let me install my printer drivers to 'H'.

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
To recover your harddrive as a last resort put it in the freezer for a while but be quick when you plug it back in.

I wouldn't suggest trying it yet as it may cause more damage but it cant harm trying as a last resort if nothing else works :D

·
Legend
2,457 Posts
try getting a usb caddy for your old drive - dont plug it back into your computer.

I think you may have to reinstall windows - there are ways to fix it but if you have nothing on the drive then you have nothing to lose ...

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
You hard drive is fubbard.....

if its the motor controller on the actual drive you could sawp the baords over and try that done this quite a bit at an old company. Failing that do as Dori_Kin_Adam cant do any more harm

To change the drive letter I've used this (searches through favourites):-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
Sometimes with an old drive the heads can get stuck.

Drop it from about 4 inches onto a hard desk. Just the drvie mind, not the whole PC!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts