Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all

ok some of you may know ive been looking into building a performance non turbo gts4. As ive got a bit of aphobia of turbos.

however there is a garage near me that has had a 2.5 twin turbo soarer in for ages and i took it for a test drive today. (thought id see what its like)

I must confess i now know what all you guys with turbos are on about! :eek: man that thing was quick!!! :drivin:

i think the soarer is heavier than a gts (certainly the doors weigh a ton each) but the throttle response is just way different to my rb25de gts 4 saloon.

i dont know much about soarers, or their engine specs but surtely this must be close tothe rb26dett in terms of performance?

(if anyone one wants it it up for £3995 in catterick, with 64000 ish onthe clock)

I want an rb26dett now to put in my gts4, and thenthe rb25de will go into something else .....:bounce: :bounce:

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
they are loosely similar to the rb26dett, main draw back though is the lack of manual gearboxes for them (very few), and the hideous interior and boring exterior. They can look good with some kits, and you can pick them up cheap (the v8s you can pick up for less than 2k).

its common to mate the supra n/a manual gearbox to them...

·
Diesel Powered RB25
5,954 Posts
no expert on this but if ur engine is good enough and strong and ur happy with how it looks y not look into a turbo conversion am sure with some wise pennies and posts. The Gals an girls on here have enough parts knockin about to get u half way there. Not sure though on realms of possibilty and feesibility that it could well be done. And as i said earlier folk will have parts knocking about that they'll exchange for beer tokens lol.

If uk now ur engines good and well maintained why swap it

Hope this helps
Cheers C

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
a gts4 with good na power would be great,i heard an old 240 with a 6 cyl on 6 carbs recently that sounded completely crazy

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yeah that were something like my orginal plan koh, id looked at ITB (too expensive) and was just wondering about some sort of hybrid with the gtr throttle bodies. carbs would have been my other thought.

BUT having driven the soarer..(and i gotta agree with hi5 that they are ugly things..when compared to the skyline) i really think that a rb26dett inthe gts4 saloon would be a laugh. the rb25de would then be a start for a project build for track use. ....im not giving up onthe na route altogether just changing tack slightly....

and as for turboing my curent engine, id rather swap it for a twin turbo than mess up (potentially) a nice NA. all of this is long term stuff anyways, as ive got the other two builds to finish first.

afterthought: the e type jag had a straight six with triple carbs.......hmmmmm

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Glad youve seen the light.....

Go rb26! or Rb25det, there just as good.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seen the light? welll i dunno really (grins)

well i know the gearing on my car would mean if i dropped in the rb26dett it would actualy be quicker over the quarter mile than the autechs...(aledgedly)

so thats my plan. an rb26dett 4wd saloon...... eventually. im still gonna do little mods to this engine as a test bed for later on.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
supercharged R33 gts

Hesh, if you get a chance try to get a hold of Augusts edition
of "japanese performance" its got a feature on a Supercharged
R33 gts putting out 236bhp at the wheels, it must sound amazing!!
and you wont see many supercharged skylines running around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts