Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On import they are usually converted to read in miles and MPH,
and can you please post in the right section when asking questions, the newbie section is just for introductions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi all,
I'm looking to get a 350gt soon but at the moment I'm confused about the speedo etc.

So then they are imported it's all in km so that happens to get registered/moted?

Then after it's registered/moted the what reads in miles, the odometer or speedo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi,
Sorry about posting in wrong section!

So the odometer is converted as well, so how do you know what the true mileage is if it's been here for 7 years?

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately unless it has documented history from before and the point where it was converted you don't.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok so if I take the otometer reading from the 1st mot and convert it to miles then add on the miles from that mot to present day = tolal miles!

I think I got this right.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been looking at a few gts for sale and 2 owners have replied saying their speedo is mph and otometer is km.

So this is a bit confusing trying to work out the car's true mileage.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are obviously misinformed, if you convert the electronics to read in MPH the odometer will also clock up in miles as they are linked, so once converted, the original klms figure should be recorded and then converted into mls, and then added to the whatever has been recorded since the conversion.

Which is why its so difficult to find the true mileage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They are obviously misinformed, if you convert the electronics to read in MPH the odometer will also clock up in miles as they are linked, so once converted, the original klms figure should be recorded and then converted into mls, and then added to the whatever has been recorded since the conversion.

Which is why its so difficult to find the true mileage.
Yes your totally right!

It's a shame because if I'm going to spend 4/5k on a gt I don't want some one claiming it's done 100,000 miles then it's true mileage is 150,000!

Just found this-

Speedometer conversion chip

These are wired in to the car’s electronics. Speed is displayed in mph and distance is recorded in miles from the point of fitment onwards. They do not convert already recorded distance on the odometer from kilometers to miles. The speedometer dial face is amended to reflect the new units but is otherwise unchanged. This is done by covering the kmh lettering with a mph sticker, or in a ‘budget’ conversion by blacking out the k of km/h to leave m/h.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well I viewed a fresh import today, it was a white 2003 model which was in every good condition but was top money.
Then I asked about the speedo still showing kmp he was there's no need to have the speedo chip changed because if you do it restricts the car and changes it's maps!

Also find some every small bubbles under the paint on the rear wing so I will give it a miss.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is feeding you bullshite.

·
Super Moderator
2,723 Posts
he was there's no need to have the speedo chip changed because if you do it restricts the car and changes it's maps!
That's a man who doesn't have a clue about the car he's selling.
Good job you walked away!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's a man who doesn't have a clue about the car he's selling.
Good job you walked away!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
And it said he has been importing all types of skylines for the last 3 years.
Also said it went for it's 1st mot last week but then found out it was moted 6 mths ago.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have noticed a lot of sellers saying the clocks were converted to mph, but then say the actual recorded mileage is km. So it gives the impression the cars mileage is a lot less than what it actually is.

Load of bull$h1t!! is all i say and trying to pull a fast one.

If its converted in MPH then its reading and recording in mph

1 - 13 of 13 Posts