Skyline Owners Forum banner

confused!! oil catch cans

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  AppleJack 
#1 ·
im planning on getting and fitting a oil catch can.
but ive noticed that most only have 2x inlets and no filter.
from what i gather you connect each rocker breather to each inlet but this seems like it wont breath.
and if i was to join the rocker breathers together and use one inlet on the catch can and use the other as the outlet surly it will be a big restriction on the breathing on the oil brethers if the 2x rockers are both 15mm diameter it would need 30mm pipe and inlet on the catch tank to breath correct?
and a filter off the other in/outlet

hope im making sence?

the other catch tank ive seen has 2x 15mm inlets and a filter breather on top of the can, surely this would be the better option?
then run the 2x rocker breathers to each inlet on the catch can and the filter lets it breath.

then block ALL the other inlets off to the manifold and airfilter intake ect?

any one with some good engine experince want to shed some light on this ?
brucem :)

let me know if this dont make sence or is not understandable.

See less See more
#2 ·
there are three rockeer breather outllets mate,i would (and have) attached the two top cam cover breathers to the catch tank and put your breather filter to the one way valve that comes out of the left side of the cam cover and goes into the inlet plenum(you will ave to do a slight idle adjust)

#3 ·
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If you have a mini filter on the lines you must be venting to atmosphere, therefore not needing a catch can. Or you do need a catch can, which only collects the oil and then needs emptying?

#4 ·
GB: i had a filter on a rocker breather on my ca18det and it was always chucking oil over the rocker cover, hence i want a catch can. its just how to roate it.

koh: the 3ed breather on the rocker i was going to block.
then run rund the other 2x rocker breathers to the catch can with a breather/filter on top of the can, and block all the oil breathers to the manifold and air intake.
but just cant understand why some catch cans only have 2x inlets and no filter breather. as i cant find a catch can with a top breather for £30 ish.
that make more sense?
lol

#5 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
Right guys this is how a catch tank SHOULD be connected.

This discription is based on facing and looking down on the engine.

1) the small breather that comes out of the left cam cover and into the inlet plenum needs to be blanked. (its a S shaped pipe)

2) you can leave the connector between the 2 cam covers still in place so the cams can breathe between each other.

3) the pipe that is connected to the right hand cam cover and goes to the intake pipe can be used to allow both the cams to breathe to a catch tank.

4) you now need to blank the metal pipe that connects between the intake pipe and right hand cam cover.

Got it?

Basically with a catch tank your trying to stop the engine breathing hot oily air back into the engine intake anwhere, but still allowing the engine to breathe so to atmosphere is best.

#11 ·
Slap a filter on it!

#15 ·
It all depends how much the car breathes plus what the catch tank is like as condensation can also form.

But i do like the look of that drink.

#16 ·
It didn't taste nice... ask my kids.... lol
Plus my missus not happy at me using one of her "nice" glasses....

The sludge in the middle I assume is oil.. the stuff on the top I think is fuel and the bottom stuff sould be water... is it...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.