Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for those who look at the other forum, cos this post is there too. But I thought the rest of the skyline world might be interested too.

Having spent much time in the last few weeks poking around with scope & meter at the consult connector in the GTR, and not really getting very far at all, I stumbled across some gem-information out there on the internet.

In particular, some people called the "Nissan Technical e-Group" published a couple of documents describing the protocol & interface specifications, and a (mostly complete) command set and register information.

PLMS developments have published a circuit diagram for an interface to consult, and there's software called "ConZult" (primarily aimed at 300ZX) which can use this interface. Software is pricey though, and not Skyline specific.

Anyway, I took the PLMS circuit diagram and modified it a bit, to make some slight improvements and replace hard-to-come-by components, and created a DIY pcb.

Happily, it worked first time....

153.6 KHz.

For initial testing I used the free version of ConZult- which does hardly anything. It worked fine and I can see real time readouts of lots of signals- AFM voltages, TPS, RPM, Speed, etc etc.

Next steps are to write free, open source software to specifically get at all the Skyline related info.

Plan for further down the line is to create a microcontroller based host with graphic LCD, which can to an extent replicate the functionality of R34's MFD.

I'll keep you posted as the thing develops (if anyone is actually interested that is!!!)

Whilst I have a R33 GTR, this thing should work for all flavours of R32 and R33 too :)

cheers

Jon

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
I sooo wanted to get into electronics - it's fascinating, but unfortunately too much for my sponge to handle. I did manage to wire some LEDs and resistors up once :rolleyes:

This is great Jon, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Hi All,

It's been ages since I last updated. Had some problems with that LCD. Whilst the left half worked fine, the right hand half behaved bizarrely. It was faulty.

I've managed to source a replacement, and have cracked on with development.

I took the base design that SimonM kindly provided, and have added lots of code.

I now have the basic layout, and bargraphs, displayed on the LCD. I have the microcontroller interfacing to my PC (via RS-232), and some code on the PC which, in a way, simulates the behaviour of the ECCS. So, in the video below, you can see the PC (pretend it's ECCS) "controlling" the LCD.

Next steps are to rearchitect the interface between the ECU and my circuit- the PLMS based ECCS<>RS232 will not do the job. Then I can link ECCS to my circuit and start displaying real data in real time.

Very Jazzy video can be found here (mpg video, 13seconds, 1.18Mb). Apologies for the atrocious quality. My digital camera is rubbish. You can see the backlight though!

Off to prague tomorrow. More at the weekend I hope.

Laters

Jon

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
slippyr4 said:
Thanks for the supports. Any R33 GTS / R32 GTS / R32 GTR owners nearish to Bedford willing to Guinea pig with their cars?
Whereabouts are you? May be able to offer an R34GTT from Huntingdon in the very near future. I am sure Eddie from St Neots would help as well and has an R33 GTSt..

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
Nice work Jon

·
Registered
154 Posts
not sure if you're aware, but one of the guys off the SXOC has also been working on this and has produced some PCBs and kits of all the parts needed. I've got mine and soldered it all together but have yet to check it on the car. Lots of other people have thought and have reported good results :)
here's the post from the SXOC
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=119311

There's also a guy doing a very good bit of software called Nissan Datascan, you send him $25 AUD (about £12) by paypal and he emails you the install.
V1.4 is out now (I've just been emailed the update) but you can see the V1.3 details here
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tkolo/datascan.htm

hope this helps. Certainly not trying to take anything away from what you've done Jon, just making sure you're beavering away reinventing the wheel :)

cheers,

·
Registered
455 Posts
james they loof diffirent to me as they are both desighned to be used with a pc but this one has a screen as per the 34 display which makes it cool

K

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have someting like this in my GTS.

Its got a small LED screen ( about 1" x 2" ) with a lead on it which plugs into the consult port via a box of tricks. I think its called "Easy Access", but I can check that when I get home. It shows in real time, AFR, INJ Duty, Water temp, and Speed. and it holds peak values too. Obviously fitted in Japan, so I have no info about it from over here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All,

I'm not reinventing the wheel. I've seen most the threads & info on consult that are out there. One guy in australia has made a text-lcd interface, but he charges a *lot* of money for it.

I want coolio graphics. My aim to to better the blitz r-vit type 2, which shouldn't be too hard really.

I've met eddie from st neots a few times. I'll try to talk him into letting me fiddle with his car when i'm nearer to being ready for testing.

Thanks

Jon

1 - 20 of 48 Posts