Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, its 115-125 degree's for 2 months out here in arizona (farenheit) and the OEM viscous fan wasn't cutting it. I coud'nt run my A/C or the system overheated and shut down.

So i tested a set of twin 12" electric fans with about 1100 CFM capacity.

the car still has issues cooling and will overheat if I on the A/C.

Does anyone know the factory viscous fans CFM rating? I think the last thing I can do is get a set of Flex-a-lite (FAL) fans with a 2500CFM rating and cross my fingers.

Sux not being able to drive during the day loL!

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
unfortunately i dont know the factory viscous fans CFM rating but hopefully someone will be along shortly to tell you.

thats some serious heat out there, not like crappy england!!!

Have you got yourself a nice big oil cooler to help keep engine temps down.

Also i use to take my thermostat out in my 306 and pulsar on v hot days when i was doing track days to help keep the engine running as cool as poss.

Another idea could be to heat wrap the exhaust, turbo, manifold etc to help keep under bonnet temps down and also raise the back of the bonnet to help pull heat out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on man, thanks for the xtra tips :)

I finally sucked it up and tried out my theory on CFM. From what i've gathered in my searching, most viscous OEM fans do about 1200-1500 CFM on a good day

Well I threw on a set of FAL 2600 CFM shrouded 12" fans, that definetly did the trick. The Car isn't overheating any longer and the A/C is INCREDIBLE.

With a 124 degree F outside temperature, it was a chilly 25 degree's F inside the car :)... best part, I wasn't moving at all, it dropped to 19 degree's F once i started moving (set at 18C and full blast).

I would still be interested in knowing the OEM CFM but oh well, its all done now.

But if anyones looking for a good cooling solution, FAL fans are it!

They were 280 US dollars so thats like what, 150 for you guys?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a front mount but it does pass air through rather efficiently

I actually made another discovery.

my skyline came direct from japan and no one had touched it other than me... so the cooling system was just as it was in japan.

I did a glycol test on the coolant, it was nearly 100% antifreeze, no water content.

Yea that could be a problem to :)

Flushed the system and replenished it with 40% antifreeze, 50% water, and 10% DEI additives...

that helped a TON! A/C works better to :)

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Good to hear you found some other bits to help you even more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it sure is a pain to work on without a good FSM nearby, im trying to find an english translated paper version as the electronic one drives me nutty!!

But its running good now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts