Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of nights at work ive been playing around with various pipes & things ive found laying around at work.
What ive done is made a scoop that fits behind the front bumper with 2 pipes welded on & some plastic flexible pipe attatched with cable ties & ran up to the area infront of the air filter.
I attatched a digital thermoeter to the air filter & went to see what difference it made.

I did exactly the same run down the A1 after work on thursday morning & checked the temps only after it had warmed up properly.

Run 1 with all the pipes blocked off = 33 degrees C
Run 2 with tape removed = 28 degrees C

Now i know its only 5 degrees but its a start. There aint a lot of room to run pipes up & the ones i used were just what i could steal from work. I made & fitted it all in about 2hrs. I reckon that with larger pipe work & a bigger scoop i can get the temperature in the area infront of the filter down to under 20 degrees.

Gotta be worth something aint it?

1 down side is that anything over 80mph the pipes start singing :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
is that because they are smooth, can you not fabricate them to have ripples in them, that way you are distorting the air, that might stop them singing.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are rippled but yes im gonna knock up some perforated diffuser tops to go on them eventually. This is only MKI & kind of a test. I want some bigger steel pipes but there is so little room under there.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
sounds good mate let me know how you get on ok. Got any pictures mate ?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`ll try & take a few pics a soon as the rain stops.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
yeah i am at home and thinking of installing my power fc boost kit, but its drizzling. hmm no instructions, this is going to be fun.

·
Registered
285 Posts
cold air feed

I have been sat thinking and measuring with cowboy eds experiment in mind and come up with the following which I will try this weekend.

Attach 75mm flexible aluminium heat ducting to household aircon round to rectangular plastic adapter (neatly fits behind front lower grille and gives large scoop area) run this up to induction filter and fit 75mm to 100mm round to round adapter. I will have to scavenge round in my van to see if the household aircon filter will attach inline without restricting airflow too much. This should give added dust and grime protection with air feed being so low to the ground.

I'll post my results as soon as I road test it.

Big P

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck mate. I put my scoop in the same place you`re thinking about. Ran 1 pipe under the car & up past the radiator & the other 1 through the small hole just under (i think) the headlight. If you`re gonna use 75 mm diameter pipe you`ll probably need to run it right past the engine & back up that way. Even then it`ll be hard work getting it up again. There`s room there but there is also a bloody hot turbo & i didn`t wanna risk getting too close & a chance of anything melting or catching fire.

What air filter have you got? Is it std or aftermarket?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had a good measure and should (fingers crossed) squeeze the duct up below the intercooler pipe. The ducting is fire rated at 350c. Any way I have a diamond core drill if it gets tight !!!!!!

The air filter is an HKS induction kit (£125.00)

If i'm successful, I reckon cos you inspired me we can share the patent royalties,

regards

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
If you have a FMIC it leaves the way so clear for this job.
Where the original intercooler pipe is removed it leaves a luverly big hole right under the pod filter.
Not having access to welding eqpt has stopped ne playing, but I have thought of Industrial hose as used for sawdust extract, or alu pipe, which I can get at 76 mm, but cant melt it together.

Can you choose what song it sings ?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh that big hole would be ideal Buster. When im settled in at my new job i`ll start tinkering again & might even go down the FMIC route just so i can use the hole. Although didn`t someone at Billing have an FMIC that had the in & out pipes on the same side & used the original holes? Looked a piece of cake to fit up.

Big P we`re gonna be rich mate :D

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Buster what you on about mate, i can get someone to fabricate ali tube at work for ya.

What about cutting a bloody great scoop into your bonnet, just like the one's on me GT4?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well it was almost successful on sunday, I am now waiting for the supply of an aluminium bend to complete the coolair feeder, hopefully should have this for end of the week, I will then set the digi thermometre and try her out on my way to the patent office.
Eddie we need to think of a name for the marketing if we don't get bought out before hand.

Head down and hold on!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I`ll get my thinking cap on.

No i wont i`ll crack open a stella. I always come up with good ideas while under the influence.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that case yes you have. Just stick it in the post mate. Can you remember my address?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts