Skyline Owners Forum banner

Craigs "Starlet Of Doom"

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Drift_Kidd 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all!

Had my car a while now so I thought it was about time I put a thread up and see what you guys think. All comments and criticism welcome, good or bad!

So, my names Craig and I'm 18, and this is my first road legal car, but my 4th car. I've previously owned and modified:-
1994 VW Polo Genesis - Lovely little car which I regret selling! Limited Edition too so had a nice little spec. Was given it for a christmas present, fixed it up and sold it on!

1995 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - Was given this for free as the engine was fluffed, after a while I got bored and decided to build a 2.0 track car, ripped everything out and start work for loads of my parts to be stolen, lost motivation and long story short this one went too!

1994 Nissan S13 - My pride and joy! Cost me £250 from a family member with a few problems, fixed it up, sorted the running problem, decided to build a drift car, moved house and couldn't take it with me so I had to sell it :(

Which brings us to now! Im learning to drive and wanted a car so I could drive to work and back whilst learning and get plenty of practise. A work mates brother was selling this so I snapped it up and put it to good use!

Its the 4E-FE so the 1.3 none turbo and in a fetching shade of OAP Blue
Sorry for the dark pictures but at this time of year I dont have any better ones!

As with everything, I couldnt leave it standard for long, in the pics Ive already fitted the 15" Team Dynamics wheels that came with the car and pulled off the eyesore plastic trims for the side.
I dont like the look of the standard bodywork on the Starlet but I love the look of the Glanza, bit of hunting later and I found these, as you can see they are damaged but I can repair that easily enough and spray them. Bargain price too!
I've already started work on the side skirts as you can see, few little marks to tidy up and then off to the bodyshop for paint.

The puppy decided he wanted to help and keep guard

Kit wont be going on as it is, Im planning to smooth the side skirts and end caps together rather than them being two seperate pieces. The bumper would also usually have a badge on the grille but Im going to smooth this over as the car isnt a Glanza and Im not going to pretend it is!

I hate, hate, hate, hate the 4x4 ride height so as soon as I got the car I was on the look out for coilovers. These popped up for £250 just need new adjuster rings and a clean. I snapped them up straight away and I have a refurb planned when it gets warmer. Should be looking rather tasty sat in my arches when done! They also have adjustable top mounts so Im a happy bunny!

The bumper didnt come with fog lights and in my opinion it looks daft without them so I was on the hunt for those, I eventually found a mint set or £45 so snapped them up too

Progress is slow due to needing the car daily to get too and from work and with not having a garage but Im stockpiling parts like a little magpie and come winter Ill be repairing the bumpers and side skirts and refurbing and spraying the coilovers!

Still on the look out for Glanza headlights and bonnet, aswell as a rear bumper, spoiler and a nice backbox so if you see anything let me know!

:cheers:

See less See more
#3 ·
Cheers Keith, its my first car so not going to be as fast as some cars on here but Im atleast going to try and make it look decent!

In saying that, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd I have beaten and surprised bigger cars away from the lights :p

#5 ·
looks like this might be interesting! Keep it well away from chavness (LEDs everywhere/an engine bay "build" thats mainly conduit and coloured electrical tape :gay:) and you may well be onto a winner!

with that bodykit and coilovers you could give the veedub static drop peeps a run for their money :D

#6 ·
Andy - Have you got any other parts left? I can repair my parts and Im not a big fan of the JDM tailgate so Im going to have some custom work done on my UK spec one to make it a little different ;)

Adam - There are on worries of that happening! I detest anything chav (LED's, shopping list on door, neons).
You must know me well, my plans are to find some japanese split rims and then static hardslam and give all these VAG lads some competition!

#7 ·
it's one of the job requirements for being a mod - mind reading... that and passing Banter the lube at the christmas party

#8 ·
You've definately got that talent down to a T then!

As said, progress will be slow as I use the car daily and don't have a garage but in the new year I'll be cracking on and getting things repaired/refurbed and fitted. I keep looking for wheels as the Team Dynamics aren't to my tastes but I can't find anything. I was originally looking at Rota wheels but they are so expensive! Second idea was some split rims but japanese and not the usual bbs but I can't even find any of those with decent offsets :(

#12 ·
Cheers mate, never been a big fan of the Paseo's either but a lot of people with Starlets buy them just for the engines as they come with the 5e which are great for doing a turbo conversion as they are full of torque apparently!

Got a fair whack of money for christmas so I just need to find the rest of the parts for my Glanza front end

#14 ·
Cheers! A friend works in a bodyshop so he has said if I get all the parts I want spraying all I have to do is cover cost of paint and some beer tokens and he'll spray it all between other jobs so I just need to get the parts to finish the front end and I'll be getting that done and on

#19 ·
Due to my amazing generosity the Starlet is currently looking very sad for itself. A friend of mine smashed his alloys in a pothole from his Civic so I kindly allowed him to borrow mine and I'd go back onto the steelies for a while. Starlet is in winter mode as such!!

First daylight picture and I forgot to rotate it, ooopppssss!

In other news though, and good news this time! I have been reading up about my engine and found that a lot of Corolla parts are cheap upgrades for my engine and will allow me to make about 100bhp for little money!! :dogpile:
So for the amazing some of £20 posted this is on its way to me

Plan is to get it heat wrapped so that it looks a little nice in the engine bay and then get it fitted. I want a custom exhaust making so I figured I may aswell get it all done at the same time.

I'm thinking a minor wire tuck and engine bay tidy may happen at some point too. I can't have a big turbo on my engine but I can atleast make the bay look tidy!

#21 ·
I'm loving it, everything on my S13 was so expensive! My T28r set me back £250 :(

On this everything is so cheap and readily available. Next pay day it's time for a Glanza inlet manifold, throttle body and raising rate fpr. I'm determined I'll be able to break into the 3 digit barrier sooner or later with her

#22 · (Edited)
Right, after a lot of rigmarole the car is now MOT'd and ready to go again! Unfortunately it now sounds like a wet fart because to pass the MOT it needed a new backbox. So one of the things on the wish list is now a new exhaust. I'll get it home, give it a wash wax and clay!!

Unsure what to do with the Glanza kit now, I am thinking about selling it up because to get the rest of the kit and get it all sprayed isn't going to work out cheap and at the end of the day I don't wanna spend all that money on my first car because as soon as I have some NCB it'll be gone. What do you think folks?!

Updates have slowed down a little as I've been spending my time working on a family members R33 fixing other people's bodges and doing general repairs. Jobs for this week still include and oil change and putting a new thermostat in. Aswell as polishing up some engine bay parts to brighten and clean things up a little

#23 ·
So, few months down the line I've been made redundant and decided to let the car go. It was a good car but nothing special and at the time I'd rather have the money sat in my account! All of the parts have been ebay'd and sold off now. All I have left is the Glanza front bumper so if anyone wants one or knows someone who wants one, PM me!

Now I've been without the Starlet for about 2 months and I'm already bored and sourced it's replacement. I've turned back to the dark side and got a Vdub. A classic one (1985) before anyone comes out with the chav car comments! Deposit has been put down on it and I'll be collecting it next month. I'll start a thread up for it as and when

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.