Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Glasgow GTST
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not up to scratch on the whole inner workings of the engine so please correct me if I'm wrong. I had work back from my mechanic about one cylinder that has damage on the bearing side in contact with the crankshaft but there is no damage or marks on the crankshaft itself. Does anyone know what the script is with this and am I possibly looking at a new crankshaft.

My mate has it out and is going to test it. Just hoping I don't need a new one as the money isn't there.

·
If in doubt...
272 Posts
The important thing to remember about the crank is that is the most central moving component of an engine. It is a science in itself to get right because you have so many different things to consider when checking and reworking; any of which can cause terminal bottom-end engine damage if tolerances are outside specification.
Things such as bearing journal dimension, bearing journal surface quality, run-out, ovality, taper, end play/float, straightness, balancing and oil gallery condition all must be considered when checking condition of a crankshaft and crank assembly.
If the crankshaft isn't within spec, you are setting yourself up to fail from square one my friend. Make sure that somebody with the correct equipment and knowledge checks the crank before reassembly. It will save you money in the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts