Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

Need a bit of help. I've had a lovely R32 GTR for a while now and it's an awesome and fun car.

Coming back from my mates house tonight I was heading along a straight road (my mind drifting away) when I suddenly spotted a left turn that I should have took, so I sharply swerved left and turned in, and slightly hit the kerb on the right side at about 20mph (if that) The steering went light and the steering wheel now sits at 45ish degrees to the right.

I panicked and jumped out of the car to look at the damage.....only a slightly kerbed wheel and can't see anything damaged underneath. The only thing I could see is when the steering wheel is straight the N/S wheel is straight but the O/S wheel points in a little bit like so> | \

Driving down the road the car doesn't really pull in any direction but the tires squeal around corners and the HICAS light came on on the motorway, turned the car off and back on and the light hasn't come back on since.

Now I hope I haven't caused any serious damage as I'm skint at the minute, I'm fairly handy with a spanner and can replace the parts myself but I can't see anything wrong underneath?

From what I've described would it be possible to take it to Kwik Fit/ATS etc... and get the tracking done again to fix the problem? or would there be something else bent/broken? track rods? lower arm, steering column etc etc...? Also are the R32 suspension/steering components interchangeble with 32gts/S13 etc...?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Thank you :wave:

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Simple answer.... you've bent something.

Dont worry lots of people hgave done that on here.

Skylines + Corners + Kerbs = Expenditure of Money.

Dont drive it you'll just be wrecking your tryes. Put the sterring wheel straight. Check which wheel isn't pointing the correct way, jack it up and take a look....

You should see something bent or not right when compared to teh other side.

Failing that take it to a garage and let them take a look, then contact the traders on here to find a replacement part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys

Thanks for your inputs!

I did try ATS who said they couldn't do it because they didn't know the geometry.....even though I gave them a sheet printed from Rising Sun.

Anyway I thought I'd take it round to the local Nissan dealer down my road. The mechanic was a top bloke and put the car on the ramp to take a proper look, told me what the problem was and didn't charge me a penny! :bigthumb:

The nearside trailing arm is a bit bent (dont know why as I hit the kerb with the offside wheel) and the offside trailing arm is a little bent too. He told me to get another pair and then bring the car back round. He'll do a 4 wheel alignment for 40quid and advise if anything else needs to be done.

Does this sound about right? Just wondering if R32 GTS trailing arms would fit? or are they GTR specific?

:wave:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Try this link for the geometry specs

Aitch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts