Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here and it's my first post, Hoping there are people with more knowledge than me here to help with an issue I currently have with my 96 r33 gtst.

The car cuts out at idle after exactly 4 minutes and 20 seconds every time. Hot or cold.. but restarts every time no issue. I have tried two MAF's and running it unplugged and still cuts out the same time. I have tried direct earth for the fuel pump incase there was an issue there and again same time to cut out.

Thr exhaust gas temp light is on but from what I'm aware that doesn't impact the running of the car, or so I have read. It has a decat, front mount intercooler, hks dump valve and rising sun ecu I belive. Other than that it's standard.

I have also tested various sensors such as coolant temp etc and everything seems fine. Just thought before I dive deeper there might be someone that goes "oh yeah I had that before it's this.."

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve had this happen before, for the most part it’s down to the idle control valve. Try loosening the idle control screw, if this doesn’t help, then I’d advise to remove the idle control valve itself and give it a good old clean as it can get clogged and filthy with blowby etc, once cleaned, reset the idle screw to allow a fair amount of air in.
At the moment I’m idling at ~1050 rpm once warm which seems high but any lower and it sometimes drops to 500rpm when hitting idle.
Hope this helps,
Any questions, feel free to ask away
Ben :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bud but I actually found the cause to be the exhaust temp sensor in the end! I was under the impression they had not part other than illuminating the warning light but clearly they do have some part of cutting the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks bud but I actually found the cause to be the exhaust temp sensor in the end! I was under the impression they had not part other than illuminating the warning light but clearly they do have some part of cutting the engine.
Ahh okay that’s new, I didn’t know that either! Thanks for sharing!
Ben :)

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
Can you say why it was the cat temp sensor? I have never known them to cause a running problem, are you sure it wasn't down to the lambda as you quoted a very specific time and that would indicate something that was switched by the ECU during initial cold start/warm up like lambda closed loop.

Reactions: Antross

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this happen to me, turned out it was the lambda/02 sensor, was running like crap, stalling, bad idle,running rich, hammering fuel, I ordered a new one from www.ecolambda.co.uk and now runs and drives fine, it’s the 3 wire type, couple of different options to choose from as there’s a couple of different types but this should solve the problem if it continues, absolute bugger to get off as it’s one the Downpipe and not much room,but can be done quickly with the right tools

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you say why it was the cat temp sensor? I have never known them to cause a running problem, are you sure it wasn't down to the lambda as you quoted a very specific time and that would indicate something that was switched by the ECU during initial cold start/warm up like lambda closed loop.
It was definitely the exhaust temp sensor that caused it, it had been cut when a decat was fitted. The wires were contacting eachother while still being plugged in which was causing the light to illuminate and after a few mins the car would cut out. As soon as I unplugged it the light went off and it ran fine.

I didn't do anything else apart from check the fuel pump relay and stuff.

Hope this helps someone in the same boat as it was rather annoying.

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
I have never known the sensor to cause an issue whether connected or not and I have disconnected a few, it does connect to the ECU but only illuminates a light if the cat is over temp around 850c I suspect that your issue was caused by something else and this is just coincidental.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same issue with cutting out a few years back and had a rising sun stage one ecu fitted at the time and after taking it to mgt it was found to have had to dry joints on the board

1 - 9 of 9 Posts