Skyline Owners Forum banner

Dash Dial's Interchangeable ???

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  StuartTheFish 
#1 ·
Hi, I currently have a R33 GTS (RB20E) AUTOMATIC ..with GTS Dials (speedometer, petrol etc..) But eventually I plan to upgrade to a GTS-T AUTOMATIC engine...

:attention:
*********************************NOOB QUESTION'S**********************************

***Will GTS dials be fine if I upgrade to a GTS-T lump.. ??

***Could I run GTS-T Dials whilst only running a GTS lump, ready for the engine conversion..??

***Could I run GTR Dial's in conjunction with a GTS/GTS-T Engine

****************************************************************************************************

I'am think the GTR one might not be compatible since its only available in MANUAL TRANSMISSION...

But are the GTS/GTS-T dials interchangeable (both Automatic)

I know its a propper NOOB question but I really want the best dials I can afford and only really wanna upgrade because the speedometer stick sometimes.. and I need to take the unit out anyway to change the LED back lighting from Blue to Red + I will be upgrading the engine asap over the next year or so...

All help appreciated

Regards

Martin

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
If you fit an rb25det drivetrain, you'll also need the diff for it and the speedometer to match due to the different gearing. You could calibrate it yourself though with a soldering iron. But basically if you fitted an auto gtst instrument cluster now, your speedo would be wrong unless you also have the gtst auto diff.

That said, IIRC a gtst diff won't fit your subframe anyway, so you'll need to change that too, either for a gtst one or an s14 one before you even start.

#6 · (Edited)
You say I'd need a GTS-T Diff ,is there an up-rated diff I could buy thats better than the GTST/S14 ones (that I could still use with a GTS Engine until I get the GTST lump put in)

I've heard of a Limited Slip Diff LSD...is this part of the same thing? could I bennefit from one of these? and would it be of any given use since Both engines will be automatics

.... and can you explain a little more about the sub-frame etc... ??

:cheers: - Martin.

#7 · (Edited)
The ratio of your diff is suited to your current engine and gearbox. If you just change it for a different one just so you can have an LSD, you could actually make your gearing less suitable and make your car slower or otherwise worse to drive. I don't know off hand what ratio your current diff will be, but a manual gtst diff is 4.1:1, and an auto gtst diff is 4.3:1. I fitted an auto diff to my manual gtst a few months ago, and I had to recalibrate my speedo even for that, as it was enough to cause it to seriously overread. Could be even worse if using your diff instead.

As for the subframe, from what I've read the diff on your car is the smallest of the lot, which means the mounting holes are wrong as the casing is smaller, as well as your driveshafts not fitting. So you'd need to fit gtst or s14 bits just to be able to fit the different diff. And there's no point in changing your diff unless you change your engine and gearbox too. And then you'll need to change your speedo or recalibrate your existing one to suit the new gearing. You may have to change your hubs too, but you already plan on doing to go 5 stud and fit gtst brakes.

I'm not sure you realise it yet, but you will pretty much have to change EVERYTHING under the car to do everything you plan to it. Although it's possible to do, you'll end up paying way more than it would have been to just buy a gtst in the first place. Auto gtst's go for next to nothing nowadays, and although you could learn a lot by doing all this work if you're doing it yourself, it's really not worth it financially when you'd pretty much need to buy a gtst just to transfer all the parts over anyway. Even more expensive if you've been getting garages to do it all instead.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment to your particular car, you're pissing in the wind to be honest. What I'd do is tidy it up if you wanted, but stop thinking of engine and brake upgrades for the reasons mentioned above. Then once you've had it for a while and are in a position to want more, buy a gtst and then swap whatever nice bits you've put onto this one into the gtst instead. Or better still, get a gts4 and then drop a gtst engine into that and go from there if you fancy having the gtr's 4wd setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.