Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yes it would work but there is possibilitys of boost soiking etc with any manual boost controller.
I would say use 1 as a temporary measure for a short while until you can afford to get an electronic one.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool .... that's pretty much what i want to do .... just want to see what else i'd need to change and what sort of power gains i'd get from upping the boost ... nice cheap quick way of checking see.

then once i've worked out if it's fueling correctly and nothing's dying fast then i'll get the proper thing. (once i can afford it)

thanks for your help

·
4,143 Posts
get a powertek one they are as good if not better than any electric controller i have seen.they do the same job the same way but a electric one tells you when its going to **** up where a manual one doesn't but a good boost guage is all you need and save £150++ on something that does the same job

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not had one on a skyline but did on a scooby, it gave it 40 more bhp, made an incredible difference, however the first one that was fitted was faulty and broke after two months luckily the garage changed it and a year on its still ok. Because of this if you do decide on one i would recomend buying it from and having it fitted by a garage!

·
4,143 Posts
i have used 4 of the powertek ones and there frist class.i had one other make one and it was **** and killed its self within 3 days but the powertek ones the bloke will even set it up for what boost you want to run and run it in so it doesn't flutter over the frist 100miles and i have been to watch him make one for me and it is very good.i have seen people have problems with there eltric one to.

·
Worlds fastest MR2 9.722 Ecu mapper and installer
61 Posts
The Dawes/Bren/Granger valve is a ball bearing on a spring type manual boost controller. We use them on MR2's as they premote quick boost response, which, given the 2 level fuel cut on a stock GTS-T ecu is not really what you want. This is one of the few cars that benifit from a three way bleeder T as it will follow the profile of the oem boost curve, just higher.

When you push the boost up, our good old friends, Mr rubbish grade 6 plug with a bus sized gap and Mr tracking dodgy 12 year old coil packs usually make an appearance (but you might be the lucky one :D)

Lyndon (aka NOD but not anymore)

·
4,143 Posts
well with any boost upgrade you will have problems on ****ed coilpacks and grade 6 plugs.
you only want to set it to 0.8bar so you won't hit a fuel cut and you don't want to ethier as it kicks in around 0.9/1bar which will kill your turbo and your fuelling won't like it much ethier.if you want to be really cleaver i have seen people set the manual boost controller up to run 2 stage boost as well but its much better running just the 1 stage.
if you do have a problem with these plugs are around £47 and at that boost level its easy to recon the coilpacks

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm going to stay with the two stage boost and my plugs are brand new so that shouldn't be a problem as for the coil packs i've had those out (obviously when doing the plugs) and they look spanking new which i'm sure they are not but have never missed a beat

hopefully all will be well and if not then i'll go back to standard and wait till i have enough money to change all and get a power fc

thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts