Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, teck advice needed please!

driving home from dropping maccers turbo off to be rebuilt, i decided to over take a few muppets in the middle lane doing 60mph. No problem.
Then from nowhere, big plumbs of smoke covering the whole motorway!!!
I quickly turned off the engine and costed into the hard shoulder just incase something very bad had happened, made a few phone calls and its seams to be the turbo thats gone!
I will be taking it off in the morning and making sure, but whats the best one to go for on a limited budget?
And what does the numbers mean on the different types of turbos? i.e. whats does T04 and T3 etc mean????
please advice?!?!?!
thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
And what does the numbers mean on the different types of turbos? i.e. whats does T04 and T3 etc mean????
please advice?!?!?!
thanks
T2, T3 and T4 is the very loose description of the housing types and flange orientations. Std skyline has a T3 style manifold flange but a weird exhaust housing flange.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Err, sort of yeah. The mani flange is really the important one, as you can knock up a downpipe easily enough as long as you have the elbow to go with the turbo - but I'd stick with direct replacements in the first instance.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got ya!
so the standard turbo is a t3 flange, so would it be worth just getting steel internals put in and, can the standard turbo housing be used but still bigger internals put in?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not "bigger" in terms of trim size but certainly with steel internals you can run a bit more boost, very reliably, and still have a nice early spool. If I could find anywhere cheap enough to do it, it'd be my first choice, yes.

A cossie T3 should fit, with some messin.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just finished stripping the car.
maccer and myself, removed the turbo this morning and looked at the inlet side and apart from a very small amount of shaved blades where the turbo went out of balance and rubbed against the houseing all looked ok. then looked at the exhaust side and noticed that the turbo blades and the shaft it sits on were missing. a quick shake of the exhaust system tells me that the turbo blades are inside, so off with the backbox and out falls the rest of the turbo.
So i am thinking that i have been very lucky and none of the turbo blades have gone through the engine, but to be sure, i tool the turbo to my mates garage for him to check.
we take the turbo apart to find that the one part if the blade just out of sight from the inlet side is missing!!!!
OH FU*K!!!!!!!!!!
Maccer and I went back to my house and start stripping the inlet system to see for any sign of damage, but strangley there were no visible signs of anything, not even metal dust etc.
so i removed the pass side of the greddy intercooler and you will never guess what, i only find the bits of turbo!!!
how lucky do i feel, my engine saved by a uprated intercooler.
so what turbo do i get to give me the option of 500bhp in the fueture???

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
Not "bigger" in terms of trim size but certainly with steel internals you can run a bit more boost, very reliably, and still have a nice early spool. If I could find anywhere cheap enough to do it, it'd be my first choice, yes.

A cossie T3 should fit, with some messin.
How much "messin" will be needed to fit a cossie tubby to my R33 GTS-T? and what kind of "messin is involved?"

:cheers: :bigthumb:

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I would do a bore scope check and also a compression test just to be on the safe side. Piece of mind if anything.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, getting a leak down test on monday, a that will show anything up. b ut while its off road, i will have time to work on a top secret project!!!!!!!

·
bla
17,374 Posts
wow mate, thats lucky.........

go tdo6 turbo kit mate... instant 500bhp

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have heard of people slag them off, but i thought there was only a few different turbo manfuractures in the world and they might just be rebranded ones.
but i have not heard of them go wrong, just one or two of their manifolds going wrong?

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
the manifolds are fine for the price, they are unfinished and require a little work to fit them

they do break too but how many people slot the boltholes to allow for expansion?

turbos i am more piccy with....buy a new one and spec slightky above what you want

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok then, that seams to be a no to xs power!

so what turbo will give me the option to get 500bhp?

as if i want to get to that power i might as well get the turbo now and sort the rest out later, to save having to replace it twice?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts