Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many hundreds of passes on this completely stock RB25DET, the inclusion of a cheap, stainless exhaust manifold (which in hindsight, offered very poor boost control), killed the motor with a big lean-out. The added gas flow from the Nitrous couldn't bypass the back of the GT35 quick enough and the motor saw 29psi peak on top of the 100hp pill.

Video is here.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
After many hundreds of passes on this completely stock RB25DET, the inclusion of a cheap, stainless exhaust manifold (which in hindsight, offered very poor boost control), killed the motor with a big lean-out. The added gas flow from the Nitrous couldn't bypass the back of the GT35 quick enough and the motor saw 29psi peak on top of the 100hp pill.

Video is here.
Aww cmon, sorry to hear your loss... but the video is ****!! Wheres the BANG, wheres the EXPLOSION, wheres the DRAMA???

:D :D

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
So whats the plans ???

another stock motor or RB30 or forged internals and more nos???

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Which boost controller are you running?

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There were explosions on the inside, believe me! Ring-lands on number one and two were blown into the sump. It also blew the ring-lands in my wallet to bits!

Sorry it wasn't more spectacular for you guys - next time I break a perfectly good motor I'll try and put it through the bonnet! :D

Rich, I've whacked another stock RB25DET in it just so we can keep testing and developing the setup of the car to get it leaving right. I have most of the parts for the RB30 short motor now and a spare 25 head to go to town on.

Boost control is via a Turbosmart Eboost2 - I can't make it clear enough that it was certainly no fault of the boost controller that the engine overboosted. The small-ish gate combined with the ordinary manifold design were responsible.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
There were explosions on the inside, believe me! Ring-lands on number one and two were blown into the sump. It also blew the ring-lands in my wallet to bits!

Sorry it wasn't more spectacular for you guys - next time I break a perfectly good motor I'll try and put it through the bonnet! :D
:devil: :devil: And FLAMES!!! :devil: :devil:

·
Banned
1,919 Posts

Rich, I've whacked another stock RB25DET in it just so we can keep testing and developing the setup of the car to get it leaving right. I have most of the parts for the RB30 short motor now and a spare 25 head to go to town on.

Boost control is via a Turbosmart Eboost2 - I can't make it clear enough that it was certainly no fault of the boost controller that the engine overboosted. The small-ish gate combined with the ordinary manifold design were responsible.

Cheers,
Adrian
I have the same problem with the gas flow backing up when on nitrous but the boost is still controllable for me (lots less gas though) but its probably going to limit the amount of nitrous i can put in

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rich, if you get a new manifold made (or need one made) then I'm happy to help out by supplying one or by offering advice on how it should probably go.

Deggers - Flames...Gotchya! :D

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
Rich, if you get a new manifold made (or need one made) then I'm happy to help out by supplying one or by offering advice on how it should probably go.

Deggers - Flames...Gotchya! :D
i dont know exactly where the problem is as i'm using a machined stock tubbie i am presuming its the exhaust housing causing the problem

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
What turbo is it mate?

Stock, machined with bigger steel internals , probably close to maxxing out as is , but seems just about ok with low amounts of nitrous.

I'm sure its the limiting factor but i have a few of them at the moment , like travtion , clutch and lack of line lock

Oh btw how did you do your line lock???

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Manualised Ford C4 - 3-speed.

Ford C4-C10 Transbrake: High Performance 3

- Transbrake reverse shift valve body
- Vasco 26 spline input shaft
- Roller bearings throughout
- Raybestos bands and clutches
- Kolene steel forward clutch pack
- Special heat treated race steels high gear
- Billet race servo
- New 4 pinion low drag Billet planetary (Optional 6 pinion)
- Modified high gear drum for high RPM
- New rear servo piston
- New Sprag assembly
- Race modified lubrication oiling system
- B&M alloy pan with Hi-Flow TroqueFlite filter
- AN-6 fittings

·
2005/2006 SRWD #1
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What gear do you do them in? Should be 2nd gear, 6000rpm, off clutch and lightly onto brake to stop forward motion. Even a bad clutch will be fine if you're not too vicious with the brake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts