Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got or had a diesel they run on vegetable oil?

My work are giving me a old L reg 1.9 diesel seat ibiza and although it does good MPG i remember seeing the Top gear cover on this and thought seeing as i can buy vegetable oil for 55p LTR it would make for even cheaper commuting.

From looking on the net i gather for the winter use a 10% mix but for the summer you can use a min of a 50/50 mix.

Anyone finding there skyline killing them on fuel getting a cheap diesel and running on this makes for a very cheap alternative.

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
Has it got a turbo? Chap I work with runs a Land Rover 90 on it but says you have more problems with a tubby on it.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
Anyone got or had a diesel they run on vegetable oil?

My work are giving me a old L reg 1.9 diesel seat ibiza and although it does good MPG i remember seeing the Top gear cover on this and thought seeing as i can buy vegetable oil for 55p LTR it would make for even cheaper commuting.

From looking on the net i gather for the winter use a 10% mix but for the summer you can use a min of a 50/50 mix.

Anyone finding there skyline killing them on fuel getting a cheap diesel and running on this makes for a very cheap alternative.
my mate works for a chippy and run's his bmw almost entirley on filtered chip fat lol

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
He also buys his oil from the local chip shop because the VAT has already been paid on it, he filters the bits out using slices of white bread rammed into the bottom of a funnel :screwy:

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
iv been thinking about this myself on my 406 1.9td but can anyone confirm that it can be used on my runabout???

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
All the council vans at home run on that stuff. It doesn't require any modification to the engine, just a heater applied to the fuel line. And you can run up to 50/50. That's what the council fitter told me anyway, don't take it as gospel though lol

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Well I haven't ried it but know it does and will work BECAUSE !!!

Numb Nutz here put too much oil in my 306, because there was too much oil it was forced into the cylinders and well it just kept running on the governer, Pulled the keys out and it just kept going for about a minute LOL filled the street with smoke ( so much so drivers couldn't see where they were going ) I know I am a cock LMAO !!!

So If it runs on engine oil there is no reason why not on veggy oil and diesel.

I think that the reason for mixing them is to get it started better otherwise you could just run it on oil. Deisel just thins the mix and allows it to get going.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Well I haven't ried it but know it does and will work BECAUSE !!!

Numb Nutz here put too much oil in my 306, because there was too much oil it was forced into the cylinders and well it just kept running on the governer, Pulled the keys out and it just kept going for about a minute LOL filled the street with smoke ( so much so drivers couldn't see where they were going ) I know I am a cock LMAO !!!

So If it runs on engine oil there is no reason why not on veggy oil and diesel.

I think that the reason for mixing them is to get it started better otherwise you could just run it on oil. Deisel just thins the mix and allows it to get going.
you are lucky it stopped after a minute mate, i have seen em blow them selves in loads off bits lol

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
so have i mate, the governor normally makes no difference either, i've seen the rev counters off the scale:eek: You need to stall them, i have never seen one survive unscathed yet!!!

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
right well i think i'll be off to the shops then for some veggy oil, take it its just normal old veggy oil like what ya stick in your chip pan?????? lidl's are doing 5ltr cans i think

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
so have i mate, the governor normally makes no difference either, i've seen the rev counters off the scale:eek: You need to stall them, i have never seen one survive unscathed yet!!!
Left it for a min went for a smokey drive all was fine, Came to it next day dead, New set of glow plugs as the tips had broken away on 2 and it's done 3000 miles since :D starts everytime LOL

you are lucky it stopped after a minute mate, i have seen em blow them selves in loads off bits lol
Believe me I shat my pants and thought it was going to, even the Kids that usually hang around when I am doing things to the skyline ran off LOL

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mines a non turbo, but after a bit more research any turbo or non turbo pre direct injection i.e non HDI you can run as much as you can or dare before it wont start, because its thicker than diesel it can be harder to ignite and gels easier hence why they say 10-25% during the winter, but during the summer upto 100% this is the reason why some use fuel heaters.

On direct HDI engines again turbo or not because of the smaller fuel lines 10% during the winter and upto 30% during the sumer.

On my pre HDI ibiza i'm gonna try 20% now and then when it warms up at least 60%.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I know someone that ran there ancient Montego Diesel estate on it. I once has the pleasure of sitting behind at the lights, he was obviously using filtered chippy oil, cos all I could smell was a fish supper!

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
im not convinced enough to use it on modern HDI engines because of the unbelievably small holes in the injectors, possibly getting clogged up.

what i have heard is that sunflower oil is the best to use, most mpg (as if its relavent) and burns cleaner. also mixing with some white spirit BEFORE putting in the tank will thin it enough to not need diesel. but recommend running a tank of just diesel now and then to clear things out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts