Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1 of 225. 11th April 2010
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a guy at work has got a chipped turbo diesel BMW and was talking to me a bit about how he can get more power out of it. i know a teeny tiny bit about engine tuning, but only what I've been taught with regards to my car, and was wondering if engine up grades differ a lot between petrol cars and diesel ones, or is the concept still the same? air filters, exhausts, etc?

hhhhhmmmmm

over to you

Lewis

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
diesel enines are completely differant mate

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
diesel enines are completely differant mate
Agreed but in general they are the same as any turbo car. Help it breathe better and slight boost increase with a decent map and lots of gains to be had. And you can keep going with bigger intercoolers and Hybrid turbos.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Diesel tuning is similar in that a free flow exhaust and removing any inlet restrictions, and bigger turbo will benefit, but not immediately essential, but that's where it ends,
Petrol engine tuning is done but increasing airflow/pressure so you can add more fuel which results in (everything being equal) more power,
But diesels have a maximum calculated amount of fuel, and airflow is secondary, as there is unless there is a problem always too much airflow, so adding more fuel will result in more power, its almost the opposite of a petrol engine, so to tune its just a question of changing the fuel tables and injection timing (which is the equivalent of changing the ignition timing on a petrol engine).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts