Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks

im having a bit of a problem with a set of cams i got off rhd japan, basically theyre saying ive been sent a set of a spec 1 engine while mine is spec 2, so after argueing that i do have a spec 2 engine (they claimed that a 96 car would be spec1 and the fact that ive a pink label afm and no ignition amplifier on the coil pack)

anyway the exhaust cam i got sent has no half moon shape on the end of the cam to allow the cas sensor to basically grip to the cam to get it turning

do the spec one cams come without this half moon nodule in it or are they completley the wrong cams ive been sent?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2012/15768002.jpg

you can see the semi circle im banging on about in this pic here

cheers

mark

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
I expect you need series 1 cams as I have only ever seen about 3-4 series 2 engines. if you have a silver CAS you need series 1 and if you have a later black plastic type (same as R34) you need series 2.

Can you put a picture up of the cam you have?

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
thanks for the info there RSP - If its ok I have a further question regarding cams... I'm considering a set of Tomei Ponscams but not sure which ones to get for my car - 33gtst 95 M plate ...I'm guessing thats a spec1 engine. It has a 'silver' cas (hitachi is that right?). also theres no ign amp on my car from what I can see either as that is usually a black box on the back of the coilpack cover isn't it? (I know its underneath on the gtr or at least mine was!).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive a sliver cas but theres no semi circle in the camshaft for the semi circle in the cas to attach itself to.

should there not be a semi circle on the cam shaft? the one i took out had one but this tomei one doesnt :S seems very strange

i cant get a pic as the cam as its at the mappers at the mo :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
these cams you talk of at the mappers - are they Tomei?

Have you took a closer look to make sure its not sheared off your cams? Worth making sure or phone RSP and have a chat with em then post your findings out on here for ppl like me too who are after Tomei cams also :cheers:
yip deff tomei ones and nothings shared off as the piece that is missing would be sitting in the cas sensor as it can really go anywhere, but it looks like it was never there to start with as there is no roughness on the cam as tho something has snapped off, its almost as if it wasnt there to start with :(

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Interesting reading, as i had to state spec 1 or 2 when ordering mine.

So basically almost all gtst's will require the spec 1 cams regardless if the car itself is a spec 1/1.5/2. And only the very last r33 gtst's require the spec 2 cams?? or have i read it wrong???

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
I you thought you had a spec 2 does that mean you ordered a set of spec 2 cams?

You can use a later CAS but it will require a small rewire on the plug.

Richard

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea ive a spec 2 car going by the afm, coil pack, interior and body shape (lights, bumpers etc) but going by the pics of the 2 cams you posted up its the one on the left i need, which is spec 1?

so basically ive a spec 2 car with a spec 1.5 engine lol as i have a silver cas and that cam on the left is the same as the one i removed

·
Registered
696 Posts
What rewiring is required as im in the same situation thought it was a true spec 2 but obv not! how much is a spec 2 CAS?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jdm garage are around £65 for a spec 2 cas, i managed to get another exhaust cam for mine so have just sold the spec 2 cam to get some of the money back to go towards the new one, its a bit of a hassle though

as for rewiring im not sure what all need to be swapped round im afraid :(

·
Registered
696 Posts
No probs its a pain! I thought Nissan spec 1.5's where only the old model with a spec 2 engine not the otha way round even tho the spec 1.5 every thing is spec 2 except for the Cam Arghhh LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts