Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

With my stock R33 gts-t i am willing to replace my stock air filter. However, im in abit of a dilemma whether to put in another air filter or cool air intake. Which would be a better tool for performance? and also to have "sooking" noises from turbos, will the new air filter form that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you are recommending for me to get a Cool Air Intake? and not Air Filter? And what would the price range be for decent intakes like Apexi?

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
gota agree with you their vicky the Apexi Power Intake has got to be the most popular and the best for the whoosh tiiiiiiiiiiiish:yum:

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
apexi all the way :) making a heat sheild for mine :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Agreed Apexi, had mine on for about 2 years great bit of kit although is very loud but hey you want quite dont drive a skyline :hippy:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I foresee a very difficult decision making process n the horizon though, £89 or £49, now let me see..

..and I'm one of the brighter one's, I actually expect to pay more for good quality and service. But this is the same item from two sources, at around 40% price difference, and in both cases I have to fit it myself. I think I'll have to consult the oracle, NOT.

Come on guys, save my my sanity, explain why one source says £89 and one says £49, that's just a total rip off surely, or someone is not very good at procurement. Sorry to Temple tuning but come on, that differential is piss taking, and I'm a sympathetic business person.

Aitch

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
maybe the cheaper one is one of the far eastern copies and not genuine?

£89 is what i would expect to pay for an Apexi filter

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well that was my first thought, that difference on a £249 / £289 item is significant, in this price range somethings badly wrong, so copy was my initial thought too. However I can't see Driftworks knowingly selling copy products, just doesn't fit the profile, so what gives?

Aitch

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Ive got an apexi induction bit it has RED writing on it if that makes a differance to a genuine compared to copy!

·
Registered
497 Posts
And then there is also the Super Suction kit , or is that the same as you call the cold air intake?

I was also wondering what better to buy Apexi Super Suction kit or a Apexi Power Intake?

·
London stand up tall
2,440 Posts
lets be honest your not going to feel the difference between any of the good quality induction kits (or cold air kits) apexi,hks,blitz,trust there all going to give the same results

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I think it would make a difference, depending on volumn of air it will allow to flow.

Air filters vary greatly on size and shape and efficency.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, i just went off and got a K&N cone shaped air filter. Will this be equilvalent to apexi and etc brands in terms of performance? It is giving a quite a loud wooshing sound, AND ITS TOOOOOOOOOOO COOOL!

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
In terms of performance, Induction kits like the Apexi, Blitz, HKS pod type filters are really just for show, there are no performance gains over the stock Airbox and approriate filter.

If I was looking to change (i have an apexi pod filter myself, but im not under the illusion that its a performance mod), I would be looking at the Arc Airbox and a direct air feed, and try to eliminate all points of contact for the warmer engine bay air.

To back this up, there's a few threads of dyno runs with stock airbox and pod filters on sau, and the results were conclusive - no gains. Also, look to tuners like Mines, their 600 odd bhp 34 gtr (seen in the battle with the supra) just has a stock airbox and performance filter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts