Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting my oil cooler on today and disaster struck!

I was tightening the sandwich plate (where the oil filter screws on) and I snapped the male thread off....! Oops! Any one know what I should do? Can I get a replacement part? Anyone know what its called? The engine is RB25DET and the car is a Serries 2 ECR33 Skyline...

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
You will need to get a whole new oil take off that bolts to the block. Don`t worry lots of people have done the same thing. What you need to remember is that you only do a oil filter up hand tight and a sandwich plate doesn`t need much more!

I think they are about £300 from nissan new.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a picture of my c0ck up!

some pics of the damage....

R33 Oil Take-Off [reduced].jpg

A good excuse to get all my mods and mapping done by Abbey now I guess....

·
Banned
96 Posts
What is the diameter of the male thread ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I'm in Surrey, so pretty local. Consider it 85% sold to me for the mean time. I just want to check with Abbey to see if they have one there so they can fix it for me when they do all my mapping & mods. I will call you on Monday to confirm and work out a plan to pay/pick-up if I still need it...:alco:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
wooa what did you use to tighten the filter ? i have heard of evo,s where
the filter is a rattly fit on the filter head and to save overtightening and
stripping the threads they reccommend putting a big jubbilee clip on the
filter and lockwire it to the filterhead.

·
Registered
812 Posts
wooa what did you use to tighten the filter ? i have heard of evo,s where
the filter is a rattly fit on the filter head and to save overtightening and
stripping the threads they reccommend putting a big jubbilee clip on the
filter and lockwire it to the filterhead.

Who recommends that? I'm sure if that was widely know Norris and the Dentist wouldn't have both ****ed engines due to shite threads on oil filters?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the diameter of the male thread ?
Not exactly sure of the thread dimesion but its just where you screw the filter on. I just fncked up! Looks like I will be able to fix it but it took the polish off my cooler install - that's for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Evo owners are using lock wire and jubilee clips 7-9 evos because the filters keep unwinding themselves and dropping off!

Example would be japfest where it happened to a blue evo "fish monkey" from the MLR. It came off covered his wheels in oil and put him into a barrier.

Engine was fine though!

P.S i think the thread is M20 x 1.5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts