Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!
am going to disconnect my battery for 5 months cause my baby is going to do its winterbreak. :(

have AVC-R and SAFC II (and some more electronic stuff) in it. i know they are supposed to store all data and not to loose any settings, but can you tell me your experience please? anyone of you disconnected his battery for long time and lost settings?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
610 Posts
i havn't lost data from disconnecting the battery, but then again... i only disconnected it for a few hours to do some electrical work. i think theres an internal battery in the safc that'll last a few months...maybe weeks... :p not sure.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your reply mate! :cheers:
what do the others think/know?

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
have a word with richard at rising sun performance and see what he says

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I had my battery disconnected for about 8 weeks, and didnt erase anything.
If its going away for the winter i would assume you will still be starting it up from time to time to keep everything moving?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, did it like this last winter, but after 3 months battery died because fired it up only once or twice a month. So thought about disconnecting battery completely and let it sleep for 5 months. Although don't feel comfortable with not moving my engine for 5 months...:disappointed:

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite a simple answer though....thanks Hi5!
Just thought they get some power over the ECU as someone told me that even with ignition off the ECU takes some power.

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
unsure if the ECU uses a perm power source, but i know from wiring into it, that it has several feeds from ignition.

SAFC just taps into ignition feed of ECU, but you could take that feed from elsewhere, it's just easier to use that one. Boost controller probably takes its feed from cig lighter, which is run off igintion too.

The stereo loom does have one permanent feed, not all HU's use it, but most do, to remember stations etc. Thats the only thing i can think of in the car that would use a live feed. And your alarm of course.

SAFC, ECU, etc all have flash rom to store settings on, and do not need a power source (kind of like a flash memory card).

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
batery diconnect

most units now use whats known as N.V.M thats non volatile memory.that means it needs no power to save data or settings.

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,705 Posts
most units now use whats known as N.V.M thats non volatile memory.that means it needs no power to save data or settings.
and the normal time frame for that is approx 6 months

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Hi5 Took the ECU ignition for both, SAFC II and AVC-R.

@All Great stuff! Thanks for giving me information. This forum is just spot on :cheers:

So will disconnect the battery and hopefully not loose any settings within 5 months...

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,705 Posts
@Hi5 Took the ECU ignition for both, SAFC II and AVC-R.

@All Great stuff! Thanks for giving me information. This forum is just spot on :cheers:

So will disconnect the battery and hopefully not loose any settings within 5 months...
hopefully not, prob a good idea to write down the settings anyway just incase!!

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, will do that definately.:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts