Skyline Owners Forum banner

DISCUSSION: Lightweight Flywheels Pro & Con

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Moff 
#1 · (Edited)
Having a chat with someone the other day about Flywheels, having lighter ones fitted and their benefits or not, thought I would ask the masses to see what the general consensus is ?

Lets say Skyline flywheel is 20kg, and a lightweight one is 5kg and both are 310mm for the purpose of this discussion, I'm sure someone will come up with some maths on here :)

We came up with the below, and decided that BHP and Torque on a dyno might be affected only low down purely while kinetic energy was put in to the flywheel?

What are the pro's and con's of either ?
I'll update this list as we go...

PRO of Lightweight Flywheel
Race Car - Faster revving / Responsive engine
Road Car - Improved Fuel Economy

CON of Lightweight Flywheel
Road Car / Race Car - Idle speed might be less stable
Road Car - Easier to stall
Road Car - Might reduce off the line traction as lightweight flywheel will rev up faster

We can supply clutches too if needed for Brands such as the below :

AP Racing Clutches and Parts from TMS Motorsport

Exedy Clutches from TMS Motorsport online

Helix Clutches from TMS Motorsport

RTS Flywheels from TMS Motorsport

See less See more
#2 ·
Having a chat with someone the other day about Flywheels, having lighter ones fitted and their benefits or not, thought I would ask the masses to see what the general consensus is ?

Lets say Skyline flywheel is 20kg, and a lightweight one is 5kg and both are 310mm for the purpose of this discussion, I'm sure someone will come up with some maths on here

We came up with the below, and decided that BHP and Torque on a dyno might be affected only low down purely while kinetic energy was put in to the flywheel?

What are the pro's and con's of either ?
I'll update this list as we go...

PRO of Lightweight Flywheel
Race Car - Faster revving / Responsive engine
Road Car - Improved Fuel Economy

CON of Lightweight Flywheel
Road Car / Race Car - Idle speed might be less stable
Road Car - Easier to stall
Road Car - Might reduce off the line traction as lightweight flywheel will rev up faster
I would assume its the same basic laws if you change to a carbon propshaft there is less mass to turn

#3 ·
Go light or go home.....
A very light flywheel & paddle clutch i a pain in traffic, but I wouldn't change mine.
I think my flywheel is only just 4kg
Also to aid quick revving went electric fans, har to get right imho as the oem viscous is so good, but I love the throttle response so to me worth the effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.