Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had this question in my head for a while, so need to get it out and get some answers!

scenario - stone cold engine, jump in the car and drive to motorway, as you are on motorway, oil temp(defi gauge) is still at 50c(lowest), join motorway and settle at about 100/120kms, oil temp raised quickly to 80/85c

is this doing any damage? engine is not being ragged to get to the 120km, bit of boost and then cruising

basically the question is - does it matter how quick the oil gets up to operating temp or not as long as its at operating temp?

Engine Oil - Motul 300V 15w50

·
5,050 Posts
thats fine what your seeing the more the engine is running in cool air the stable it would be, only when your ragging it you will see it rise and then settle down when running the car at a normal pace

on my mazdaspeed defis ( I know its a rotary ) but it still burns fuel the warning seetings are set at 134c

so your well fine

dont forget the better the cooling of your car wether it be bigger vents in the bumper to an oil cooler will always make the oil take a little while to get up to temp

hope this has helped

cheers Toast

·
Always Seeking Perfection
1,616 Posts
But what is the idel temp for oil?

I get same 70-80ish on the motorway, 90 under hard driving.

Watching a Car Kit programme on SKY i herd them saying they cover up there oil coolers in cold weather as there oil temps dont reach operating temp and take the covers off to cool the oil in the summer.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
You ideally want 75-85 during general driving, 85-95 giving it some large and 95-115 out on track, anymore and your heading for problems.

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks toastie, hmmm ham & cheese toastie, sorry lol

just wanted to check that all was ok!

oil cooler for me think some time soon no harm especially on the RB engines

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Decent synthetic should be fine up to 120 even 130 degrees apparently.

The main thing is to keep rev down and avoid boost etc. until oil is up to temp (at least 70-80 degrees imho). I drive like a pussy (2k - 2.5k rpm, no boost) until needle is above the 70 mark on my (admittedly probably poor) stock oil gauge.

·
5,050 Posts
Decent synthetic should be fine up to 120 even 130 degrees apparently.

The main thing is to keep rev down and avoid boost etc. until oil is up to temp (at least 70-80 degrees imho). I drive like a pussy (2k - 2.5k rpm, no boost) until needle is above the 70 mark on my (admittedly probably poor) stock oil gauge.
agreed i hit 120c on the track sometimes

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I did once hit 145-150 degrees in my pulsar, Norris who built the engine said i was very lucky to get away with no damage and said if i was ever to see 125 to back off.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
The max oil temp depends on the quality and grade of your oil - you can´t just say xxx degrees is the max!

On my R34 GTT I see around 85-90 degrees on normal driving. Around 95-100 when booting it. On track I get numbers between 100-105. Only on long Autobahn runs in summer (hot day) with full throttle and high revs I sometimes see more than that. Maximum I ever had while running on the Autobahn with 200km/h+ and on a very hot day (30+ degrees) was 120 degrees. I´m running a 19row oil cooler on mine.

Remember guys, you gotta help the RB engines with oil coolers and if oil temps still go too high upgrading the radiator and other cooling parts will help the oil too as the whole engine will see lower temps and therefore the oil will too. RB engines DO hate too much heat - ask BIGMAN! ;)

And keep in mind that you need a decent oil temp gauge to get an idea of your correct oil temps. The stock one is more kinda guessing-tool.

·
516ATF and RWD......Nutter!!
1,685 Posts
Spent 2 hours going up and down roads the other week and the temp didn't rise about 60 C, once.
I do have an oil cooler, HUGE radiator but I've NEVER seen it rise above 80 c.
On a normal run it won't even reach 65 c.

·
Registered
761 Posts
65c is very low- that's just tepid for oil. Most oils are operating at their best around the 85-100c mark.

·
516ATF and RWD......Nutter!!
1,685 Posts
Doesn't seem to change anything....no matter how much I try and warm it up.....then give it some as it gets warmer.....

So is there such a thing as TOO efficient a cooling system??
I know it's not the warmest weather but the outside thermometer said 19 c the other day and it didn't make a jot of difference to the temps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yep, you dont want your oil over cooled. Try covering up your oil cooler or maybe installing a thermostat as well

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
mine sits at 80 at the minute in silkolene proS 10/50 crusing in winter/mild conditions.

Would like it to get up to temp sooner though, 10/50 is probably overkill and the car wont be on track, is 10/50 silkolene proS suitable for 80 or so...or something thinner than warms quicker be better?

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
I remember seeing a nice chart somewhere that showed the different weights of oils and what heat range there best at. Anyone got it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts