Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new steering wheel, and thought I should make a Guide for everyone that might need it in the future.

It's a complete step by step guide, on how to change your steering wheel from OEM to aftermarket using a HICAS adapter boss: http://skyline-life.blogspot.com/2011/02/updates-for-all.html

Yanked off the old one:

and put on the new one:

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Bahaha brilliant!!
It really is that simple, more or less! Certainly not rocket science

On a side note.... when removing a steering wheel it pays to loosen the nut quite a bit, but do not remove it.
This way, the steering wheel won't smash you in the face when it suddenly decides to let go.... cos most of the time, you really need to put a LOT of force into removing it. Wiggling the wheel side to side while pulling it towards you can help release its grip on the steering column too :)

·
Regular DWYB'r
807 Posts
On a side note.... when removing a steering wheel it pays to loosen the nut quite a bit, but do not remove it.
This way, the steering wheel won't smash you in the face when it suddenly decides to let go.... cos most of the time, you really need to put a LOT of force into removing it. Wiggling the wheel side to side while pulling it towards you can help release its grip on the steering column too :)
If you had actually read his guide you would have realised that he mentions all of the above. ;)

When I did mine no matter how hard I yanked I couldn't budge the wheel. I resorted to using a bearing puller with the jaws reversed. Put the tip on the centre of the spline and the jaws on the edge of the horn push. Spanner on the end and after several turns there was an almighty bang and the wheel was released.

Ian. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had actually read his guide you would have realised that he mentions all of the above. ;)

When I did mine no matter how hard I yanked I couldn't budge the wheel. I resorted to using a bearing puller with the jaws reversed. Put the tip on the centre of the spline and the jaws on the edge of the horn push. Spanner on the end and after several turns there was an almighty bang and the wheel was released.

hahaha yea, I used that trick and it worked a charm, no worries, lol.
glad this will be of some help!

·
9,198 Posts
lol I didn't read that link.... probably should have eh!
The 2 pics on this thread sum it up nicely though :)

·
Regular DWYB'r
807 Posts
Top notch guide this, should be a sticky :funny:
Again, someone who didn't follow the links posted which take you to a complete guide. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol I didn't read that link.... probably should have eh!
The 2 pics on this thread sum it up nicely though :)
LOL!!! oh man, If I came to see a how to guide and all there was, was these 2 photos, I would have a serious amount of questions regarding the steps in between LOLOL!!!

too funny, I can just imagine some poor bloke, thinking "ah yes, Finally found a good how-to for the steering wheel... aparently alls I need to do is use a ratched to remove the old wheel, and then install the new one! SO DESCRIPTIVE! lol

·
9,198 Posts
haha I thought it was a bit of a joke DIY thread, hence my first comment :D
But, it really is almost as easy as those 2 pics suggest! :)

Keen to sell your factory wheel lol? I have been looking for a mint one for ages with no luck.... shame you're on the other side of the world :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey there,

Well I don't know how keen I am, I suppose that depends on the price, and shipping isn't too horrible to Aus, from here, I ship stuff there often,... but my oem wheel is far from mint, it's pretty rough IMO, it's not in shambles, but it's not mint either lol

·
9,198 Posts
lol I'm not in Aussie! I'm a 3ish hour flight to the east :)
Ah its all good, I'm only after a mint one.... I'm trying to keep parts of the car in original condition but its very hard on a wear n tear item like a steering wheel. It seems more likely I'll have to go aftermarket

1 - 13 of 13 Posts