Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Naz Ali
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv been asked by a load of people if iv had the diff and geabox oil changed...

is this something i need to do even though everything works fine apart from gear shifting is sometimes a bit hard

i dont know anything about the mechanics of a car...so i dint even now it was posible to change the diff oil....or if the diff had oil,,,yes go on laugh lol

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
is this something i need to do even though everything works fine apart from gear shifting is sometimes a bit hard
Put it this way.... your engine works fine but you keep changing the oil in that don't ya :grinno:
The diff and gearbox are no different.... they need fresh oil to keep everything working as it should. Neglecting oil changes is where problems can stem from.
Obviously the diff and gearbox service intervals are no where near as frequent as the engine ... I'm actually not sure what the service interval is on each.
My car is going to get the same treatment soon too... new oils, brake and clutch fluid, new sensors etc :D

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
Get the standard Nissan oil for the gearbox not the expensive stuff.
Standard Nissan gearbox oil is much better and will sometimes solve crunching issues when other oils have been put in to skyline gearboxes.
You can get Nissan diff oil too.
Gearbox oil..KE916-99932
Diff oil..KE907-99932

·
Naz Ali
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys...

i cant find no info for the r33 rb20e

how much oil do i need to change gearbox oil and diff oil...also what type of oil do i use for diff???

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
thanks guys...

i cant find no info for the r33 rb20e

how much oil do i need to change gearbox oil and diff oil...also what type of oil do i use for diff???
You have the same gearbox as the 2.5 n/a r33 and 2.0 litre turbo r32 which has a capacity of 2.5 litres. Not sure how much oil you need for diff.
I know you need a gl5 oil for diff but not sure what spec it is.
I take it you dont want to use the Nissan stuff

·
Naz Ali
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh sorry i didnt read your post properly before..dint realise you listed the product numbers for the oils

thanks

and im sure someone on here will know how much oil i need for the diff

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
Bit more info incase you dont want to get the Nissan stuff.
Nissan diff oil is 80w-90 gl5
Gearbox oil is 75w-80 gl4
Your box is also the same one that goes into the 200sx S14 and I know some car part stores such as A1 have a recommended oil for 200sx gearboxes and diffs on their computers.
You may find the diff capacity with them but you will probably find its about 1.5 to 2 litres

·
Man of many spanners
1,166 Posts
i bought nissan box oil for my gtst and it held just shy of 4 litres with the car level
Thats because you have a gtst box and he has a n/a box...hes got a 2.0e
If he tried to fill it up through the side filler he would only get 2.5 litres in before it pissed onto the floor and if he filled it up with 4 litres of oil through the gearstick hole it would have 1.5 litres too much oil in it and would piss out the overflow.
I know because I had a n/a box..and its not the same as yours
He has the same box as the 2.0 litre r32 and the 200 sx ( but with a different bellhousing) which is what I pointed out a few posts back

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
drop opie oils a line as im unsure if ur box holds the same as mine

1 - 20 of 28 Posts