Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At certain times of the day and the weekends the gym I go to seems to be swarmed by sted heads with poor form and no idea. They try to lift the heaviest weight possible but their technique is totally wrong so they're gaining nothing and then throw the weight when they've completed a set instead of just putting it down like the rest of us.

The ones who never have a leg day and just want some build up top to show off to people. If people want to show off then that's cool but they all hang around the same area so nobody else can use it. They keep stealing the squat bar to use for bench pressing too and leave the weights lying around everywhere like they have zero respect for the place or anyone in it. It really annoys me.

There were a group in the other night going round asking people if they were done on the machines they were working on when it was pretty clear they were just resting between sets. I get the odd person talk to me because I'm one of the only girls who works out with weights and stuff but I could see them all staring at me in their little group and it was really off putting.

Everyone has to start somewhere, I used to be crippled after 20 minutes on the cross trainer when I first started but it irritates me when people don't take it seriously or think they're awesome because they can lift x amount when their form is poor. Especially when they're ****ing about means the rest of us can't do certain exercises. It's a gym, not a social club.

·
Out of monies
1,983 Posts
You'll always get a certain group of bell ends (not everyone mind) hogging machines/weights, it's the same in all gyms I've been a member of.

If they ask me if I'm done, when clearly I'm not, my last sets always take a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I hate gyms because of all this and more.....

So I walk, Cycle, and use a few dumbbells at home.
Cycling the one I love though, 30 miles with hills is no trouble now.

·
Super Moderator
2,723 Posts
I agree with everything there!
Although the squat rack isn't used for bench pressing in my gym...Its used for bicep curls! Now THAT'S irritating!
And as for people not putting their weights away...Wow! The gym I use is appalling for that. You spend most of your session looking for a matching pair of dumbbells or another 20kg plate.

People's dress sense in the gym annoys me as well. Its not a social club as you have said, but it also isn't a bloody fashion parade!! Take the stupid baseball cap off, change the chinos for some joggers and get training!

Its 1 topic I could rant about forever! When I'm a millionaire I will most definitely be owning my own gym so I don't have to deal with this ****!

P.S.
I still love going to the gym though :D

·
Choo Choo
1,254 Posts
I call them grunters. Make a load of noise for no reason and only do 1 set of 2-4 reps.

Normally with there mates wearing football tshirts.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
LOL, we have this at our gym too, people dressing up in hats, full make up on the girls, chains, watches .. and me looking like im going to a P.E lesson

couldn't give a **** personally (although it;s always a good laugh), i'm there for me, so I don't really care what other people do there :/

·
Registered
405 Posts
plenty of the steroid cap on backwards bell ends at my local gym too ! big arms skinny legs half of them don't look right and due to the steroids and crap that they take probably have little cocks to .

·
Big horlicks fan
830 Posts
this is why i stay away from gyms,blokes watching blokes in lycra and t-shirts 2 sizes too small !?!
this is wrong on so many levels lmao

·
Bounty Hunter
6,173 Posts
I wouldn't even know where to start on this. In the ten years I've been going I think I've pretty much seen it all. I echo all of the comments above and more, but the highlight has to be when I saw one lad take off his top in the mirror, in the weight pit, and was flexing his muscles in awe of his mate. Keith, I think he got that move from you :rofl:

·
Registered
360 Posts
my advice is go to a more old school/ body building type gym, you dont get the said bellends and theres generally a better atmosphere and its more comunal people actualy talk and have a laugh and that but at the same time they dont piss about when it matters.....this is how it is in mine anyway, i go to a small body building gym

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hear hear! With you on that Mini_the_Minx! Haha! I make my mates do leg day haha! Guys that think they are fit when they are just skinny also makes me laugh/annoy me! Got to admit though its very hard to not look at a fit good looking young lady in the gym...

·
Choo Choo
1,254 Posts
I don't have many gyms near me so no choice. I just go at 8pm so most of the idiots have left.

Looking at doing mma aswell so might change to going to the gym a 7am as I don't have to be at work till 9 ish.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hear hear! With you on that Mini_the_Minx! Haha! I make my mates do leg day haha! Guys that think they are fit when they are just skinny also makes me laugh/annoy me! Got to admit though its very hard to not look at a fit good looking young lady in the gym...
You can't spell 'legendary' without 'leg day' :)

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
I agree with comments made but don't class everyone with a bit of muscle a meat head :) I've been training for 30yrs at various levels and as said have seen it all. Don't let people ever put you off from going the gym. To be fair most I see abusing the gym, slamming weights down, poor form, being loud and generally thinking they own the place are the younger males ( well young to me), in groups of 3-4, with muscle, strutting round like peacocks, making weird noises and always look in the mirror after a good weight slam :) . Get in there, keep you're form which I've always said is the most important thing and show them how its done. Big muscles don't necessarily look good but a defined,symetric,ripped muscle looks awesome :)

·
1 of 225. 11th April 2010
950 Posts
in fairness, if these guys are being a pain, then the gym manager needs to step in and have a word. if he/she is not doing that then you can mention it to an employee, you are after all paying to use that gym, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable

·
Choo Choo
1,254 Posts
in fairness, if these guys are being a pain, then the gym manager needs to step in and have a word. if he/she is not doing that then you can mention it to an employee, you are after all paying to use that gym, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable
The idiots are paying aswell so bit tuff for them to tell 3 members to bugger off due to 1 complaining member.

·
1 of 225. 11th April 2010
950 Posts
you don't need to tell people to bugger off, but you can remind people to respect the gym, keep your shirts on, don't throw the weights about and rack them once you're done

1 - 20 of 23 Posts