Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i can tell.. every skyline owner has a run around car in case something goes wrong and something to use for short trips.. Please correct me if im wrong...

What cars do you have? As i was just looking to buy like a really old banger that will just pass an MOT with a 1 litre engine or something..

Just to do with me research b4 i make the move to get a skyline :)

·
London stand up tall
2,440 Posts
i think i speak for a lot of people when i say second car 2 there skylines arent for reliabilty reasons, i think youll find people have second cars for reasons like work (vans or cars that are a bit more suited for going to customers houses ect) and people with familys that need big boots and also running costs. fa shaw

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I have a cheap diesel runabout, which i use to get to and from work. I use my skyline purely for weekend blasts and after work too. It has helped offset the running costs for the skyline quite a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my cars are only used at night and on weekends.. Maybe shopping trips mid week....

Would a GTST be able to cope with 10 minute runs (not using boost or flooring it) every night to and from my girl friends house?

Shopping trips... again just to (10-15 minute)tesco once or twice a week to get a few bits and bobs?

An then the weekends is when it comes to fun.. Crusing and so on... But i only make 2 a month due to shift work..

Really what im trying to ask is. Can a skyline run reilable for this sort of useage? or would i be better getting another car?

·
Wedding Photographer
3,419 Posts
Use my Gtr daily, after my cheap run about head gasket went and wrote it off due to cost to repair it! Although it svery handy to have a cheap run about, it can be costly.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Cant see there being any problems to be honest, like i said i mainly use mine at weekends only. As long as it gets a good clear out once in a while ie a long run to get things up to temp, then you should be ok.

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
My r33 is my daily drive. 2 cars = 2 lots of insurance, mot, tax, etc. And if its a cheap runabout it will more than likely break down so add repairs to the list. Its probably cheaper to pay the extra fuel costs imo :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have a second car that was used for ragging on tracks etc ( e30 325i ) but heads cracked.... either wat the skyline is my daily driver .. but still goes drifting and on the drag strip

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
My r33 is my daily drive. 2 cars = 2 lots of insurance, mot, tax, etc. And if its a cheap runabout it will more than likely break down so add repairs to the list. Its probably cheaper to pay the extra fuel costs imo :D

Depends on your circumstances really, i do approx 20k miles a year in my run about, so for me it is worth having a 2nd car. I admit i have been lucky with it, as it has been totally reliable in the time i have had it, and there would be no way i could have afforded the fuel costs for 20k miles a year in the skyline

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have a cheap diesel runabout, which i use to get to and from work. I use my skyline purely for weekend blasts and after work too. It has helped offset the running costs for the skyline quite a bit.
Exactly Fella :D Plus I would rather not put 70 miles a day on the skyline. It's just handy as well if you are working on the skyline and for some reason you need something un expected you have the means to fetch it.

I have a 1.9 diesel 306

·
Seasoned Member
7,044 Posts
i have two at the moment skyline for me as everyday car and a vectra gsi for the when the family go out. however i am lookin at getting a cheep car for winter as i live in the sticks on un treated roads and dont want to subject the skyline to much salt from the roads when i do use it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did my calculations like this:

GTST doing 24MPG on average, 15k miles a year = £2850 Fuel

Piece of crap doing 40MPG on average, 12k miles a year, (coz the other 3k would be in the Skyline) = £1356 + 3K Skyline Fuel £570, Total £1926

Difference = £924
Extra Road Tax and Insurance = £250 ?

Total Saving £674

Do I wanna drive a piece of crap to save £674 or enjoy every mile I do :screwy:

and before anyone goes on about servicing costs etc., a Skyline shouldn't cost anymore to service than a mondeo, if you use the right garage.

Apologies in advance if this kicks off a spate of "runaround for sale" ads :feedback:

Of course that's not town driving at 24MPG, but it's what I get every week

·
Registered
27 Posts
my little diesel 306 shitter save me £40 a week thats £2080 a year so thats a lot off fuel i can put in skyline at the weekends, i did think about lpg for skyline ...
Might need a sub thread now for all you single guys and girls.

On average what would help you to pull easier, £40 of alcohol in a club or being seen in a Skyline ? :yum:

Must admit i'm yet to work out if it's me or the car they're looking at :rofl:

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
My second car to my Skyline is, a skyline ;), then an MR2, then a Yaris :grinno:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Be honest with yourself^^^^^ its the car they are looking at
if i go and fill up the gtr and the 19yr old chick starts getting
all chatty,GET REAL! she wouldnt even look at me if i pulled up in the old
smelly crane.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i have a skyline and my second car is a skyline. I cant afford two so one sits. I do 70 mile a day, 35 each way , to work and ten min trips when I'm off shift, touch wood, no probs yet. 95k on the gtst and only servicing, tyres and the odd new cd

·
Registered
130 Posts
ive got a van for work and ive just treated myself to a 730 bmw, im also the only one who drives

1 - 20 of 37 Posts