Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as per title peeps if you have an oil coller fitted post up and also what bhp u have please.

also if its thermostatic or not please.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I have a 19 row cooler fitted, running somewhere between 400-450bhp ( when its ran in and mapped up).

·
bla
17,374 Posts
16 row would be plenty for 450bhp...
You may have to wait extra long to warm the car up in the morns with a 19 row, lol.

I have a 16 row but its sat on the floor, lol.... Cheers Bruce :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When i got my gtr it had a 16 row cooler fitted below the sump!!(stupidest
place possilble) it looked very vulnerable and pretty beat up so i moved it out
front and it never moved the the oil temp guage of the rest in normal use.
so i took it off and just joined up the pipes. with the cooler removed the
oil temperature sits about 75-80 degrees on the road. roughly the same as it was when the cooler was fitted below the sump,(heat soak !). I have now
bought a new 16 row cooler and only intend to connect it up if i use the
car on track. forgot to add its a gtr running about 400hp.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have a mocal thermostatic sandwich plate fitted, it seems to work fine;)
it seems that the thermostatic one in my mates is what spun his bigend bearings.....twice!

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
i ran mine without an oil cooler whilst running in, then fitted a 13 row mocal, it brought the oil temps down by 8 degrees, once at the ring it soared to 125 degrees :uhoh: too hot although the temp out there was around 35 degrees so ive now fitted a 25 row and its brought the temps down by another 8 degrees, at silverstone last weekend it rose to around 100 degrees, so its a must to have one, as these engines do wreck oil at hot temps, believe me i know, i oil change around 2,000 miles on spirited driving and 3,000 on average driving and the temp is around 75 degrees, im running 650 bhp and to be honest if im tracking it more and more i may have to go bigger :D . in my opinion not to have one and do track days is asking for trouble.........;)

·
Seasoned Member
21,588 Posts
then do away with the thermostatic one and use a mocal on a sandwich plate, ive never heard a bad thing against them, if i didnt have one at the ring mine would have gone BANG thats for sure....

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How on earth???
it would appear that when the switch opened it lost enough pressure to allow damage before the switch closed and built up oil pressure.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Yes mine is a mocal kit, 19row cooler, pipes and thermo sandwich plate.
I've never heard anything bad either....... Till now:(

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
it would appear that when the switch opened it lost enough pressure to allow damage before the switch closed and built up oil pressure.
Was it not a duff plate, it shouldnt suddenly open and cause starvation, its designed to open gradually. I have never heard of that before to be honest.

I thought there was always a slight flow round the cooler circuit anyway, only increasing as the stat opens

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was it not a duff plate, it shouldnt suddenly open and cause starvation, its designed to open gradually. I have never heard of that before to be honest.
at the moment that is what it looks like to have happened but he was told that he doesnt need an oil cooler now...........he has a t88 equipped r32 gtr with the full engine rebuild,forged pistons and so on and im getting info on what other peaple have and so on just for knowledge thats all mate.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats no probs mate, I was just curious to see what had caused it.:D
thats fine mate any input appreciated but it does seem that this is the suspect but i feel running no oil cooler is a bad idea hence my thread asking you lot what you have and power output:grinno:

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Well i think it all boils down to intended useage. If you are just pottering about all day then i would say dont bother. But if you are going to drive the car hard or track it, then i would say fit a cooler.

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
so whats the cost of a 25row mocal and sandwich plate what i have at the moment is a trust oil cooler are these not a quality oil cooler???????????

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
you may just be able to buy the sandwich plate stef, best pm bum crack and get one from him

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
The trust oil cooler kit is a very good bit of kit, no better or worse than a mocal.

Anybody who says a tuned engine doesnt need an oil cooler needs their head examining!!!!

A guide for oil temps should be 84oC on general driving, 95oC pushing it hard and around 110-115oC on track, if you see more than 130-140oC then your oil isn't doing anything.

I'm at around 430bhp atf and run a 13 row cooler with a non thermostatic plate and my oil temps are 78oC general driving, 95oC pushing it hard and 110oC out on track.

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
just what i thought myself bruce oh and the t88 is oil cooled wtf

1 - 20 of 33 Posts