Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive always begrudged paying tenancy renewal fees..
(i used to casually manage around 30 properties and never once charged a tenant a renewal fee)

Ive rented this and my previous place from the same Letting Agent for the last 6yrs (who are otherwise very good).. however every 6 mths when they come out to renew and inspect the house they charge me a £35 agents fee.
Ive always thought it money for nothing so in the past asked for 12mth agreements instead of 6monthly to at least save me half the fee per year.

But this year in the current climate im sick and fing tired of people dipping their hand in my pocket for easy cash.. theres always some bloody fee or tax to be paid. So, i decide this year i was going to challenge the fee when they come to renew..

Did some searching online today to see if i can find anything to back me up and discovered its standard practise (although frowned upon) that the letting agent will charge the Landlord 10% - 11% of the annual rental income for renewals!!
So that means the letting agent is already charging the landlord £7000 to renew the tenancy.. and then just for fun on top charging me another £35!!!

The fact is the letting agent is ALREADY paid for managing the property hence why they take on average 10% of the MONTHLY rental amount. Inspecting it and dealing with the paperwork is surely part of that duty. And even if it isnt why on earth would i pay him for it.. thats the landlords responsibility not mine.

So as i understand it.. the letting agent is asking i pay him £35 for carrying out duties he's already paid to do from the monthly cut he takes and then on top of that he's also charging the landlord.
Basically he's charging 3 TIMES for the same thing.
Better still.. the inspection of the property is not for my benefit (but the landlords) nor is the renewal of the tenancy (again its in the landlords interest not mine).. besides which i already know by law the ORIGINAL tenancy agreements stands unless either tenant or landlord say otherwise..
so i dont even need a new tenancy since the first one i signed goes on to what they call a rolling tenancy apparently..

it begs the question WHAT THE HELL AM I PAYING FOR????

if there are any lawers, property agents on here id be very interested in your views please??

I get on very amicably with the agent so dont want to start a war.. but i will NOT be ripped off. He's clearly taking the piss isnt he?

·
Terry
1,995 Posts
Its hard enough to earn your money these days and why is it people use sly tactics and cheap tricks to get your money away from you. If you think you have aright not to pay stand your ground Bud, you seem to know your rights on this issue. I have had similar fights with solicitors, landlords and managing agents where is is standard practice but generally frowned upon to charge such fees. Good luck with your fight man.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi Rich, i see youre challenging more fees and arsehole companies lol ;)

Unless its part of your contract (or included in their tariff of charges tied into the contract) they shouldnt be able to charge a fee.

And yeah, normally the landlord is charged, dont know why youre getting the pleasure of picking up the tab..

Check your tenancy agreement and put in a complaint. Hopefully they will be regulated by the FSA, if so then get your final response from them and send it off to the financial ombudsman service.

Even if the complaint is rejected, laugh your arse off at the £450 charge the ombudsman charges the company (never the complainant) for the pleasure of looking into the complaint, let alone settling it in any capacity lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts